[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retard here, this should be obvious, but which edition of "The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 220px-Tosa_Mitsuoki_001.jpg (17KB, 220x213px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Tosa_Mitsuoki_001.jpg
17KB, 220x213px
Retard here, this should be obvious, but which edition of "The Tale of Genji" do I order, the Royall 1200 page one, or the Royall 300 page one, or another edition.

Fucking captcha is hard.
>>
>>9700010
>Ever reading abridged version.
You already know the answer but refuse to accept it.
>>
>>9700031
No, but seriously, I want "the" best version available, /lit/ wiki told me the Royall translation was the most literal.
>>
File: 1476384175461.jpg (57KB, 1022x547px) Image search: [Google]
1476384175461.jpg
57KB, 1022x547px
>>9700103
well you see the most literal translation is not always the best. Oftentimes you should read anything personal, such as letters or notes the translator has written about their work to see what they know of interpreting an original language. A story isn't a manual to interpret word for word, it's something that relies on the more vague inconsistencies of human language to depict life, literal translation while insuring that you piece is free from nearly any voice what so ever, will butcher some of those inconsistencies, and make it barbaric to read.
>>
>>9700010
I have the unabridged one.
It's pretty well made in the sense that it has maps, chronology, footnotes and character lists, illustrations and even a glossary of the japanese phrases.
And it isn't hard to read either.
But please considet that it is as heavy as a cow and as large as two and a half bricks.

And it's really pretty looking and it makes me feel things whenever I look at it. Jesus Christ, I just want to scream like a schoolgirl.
>>
>>9700119
.t blah blah blah nothing
>>9700141
thanks
>>
>>9700010
Why would you want to read some translation of an obscure Japanese book in English? Why not read something that actually matters to Western culture?

>>9700031
>le I put periods at the end of my greentexts fag
It's funny because it identifies your posts and yet you don't change the habit
>>
>>9700189
>Why not read something that actually matters to Western culture?
You mean, apart from the fact that western culture is dead? And the EU(as in the union(as in Merkel)) killed it.
>>
>only ebook of this is a godawful non-Royall html pdf
I might have to shell out. Royall is a god.
>>
>>9700189
>Tale of Genji
>Some obscure Japanese book
Another case of severe mental retardation
>>
>>9700141
>>9700201
Unabridged Royall version it is, thanks.

>select all images with bridges captcha
HOW DOES IT KNOW?!
>>
>>9700189
What the hell are you talking about? What type of autist pays close attention to details like green text anyway?
I do sympathize with your (I'm assuming because I want to give you the benefit of the doubt) dislike of not reading stories and poems especially, in the original language but sometimes you've little choice.
>>
>>9700181
Wanna know how I can tell you're a complete tool?
>>
>>9701076
Nah.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.