[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Book recommendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 8VAmT9v.jpg (261KB, 1250x754px) Image search: [Google]
8VAmT9v.jpg
261KB, 1250x754px
Hey, guys. I wanna start studying politics since I don't know much about it and don't even have an opinion on things either. I feel as though, especially now that I have reached the age I have, that it is important for me to start studying politics.

The thing is, I don't know where to start. Are there are books you can recommend me to start reading so I can kinda start to form my of views on the world and not just take everything /pol/ says as gospel truth. btw I'm not a /pol/ack.

Also, I know what you're thinking. "Politics is wide, and there are too many topics, be specific." That's right, and I wanna start off by studying political ideologies. But, by god's gift, if there is a book out there that does give you a rough overview of politics then I would be more than open to reading it.
>>
File: Start_with_the_greeks.jpg (1MB, 3672x3024px) Image search: [Google]
Start_with_the_greeks.jpg
1MB, 3672x3024px
>>
>>9699749
Eh, what is this? I wanna get straight into modern politics. But this looks like a fun read though and so I will be checking it out.
>>
>>9699735

Reading some lame "Intro to blah blah" by Middle-Class Good Guy will kill your interest fast.

What you really mean by "political ideologies" is that you want to study political systems, in which case your studies if honestly pursued will take you to places that at first glance ostensibly have nothing to do with politics. You're studying ways of organizing human society, thus you need a study of human society in general.

As ever, start with the fucking Greeks.
Herodotus and Thucydides.
In Herodotus there's an interesting socratic dialogue between Darius and other princes of persia about which political system they are going to set up for their people. They debate between several possibilities before deciding on absolute monarchy.
Thucydides is on the surface a history of a war but there's a strong political undercurrent in the entire work, ranging from the excellent speeches given by some of the principal actors to the conflict between two vastly different political systems in Sparta and Athens.

After this you need to study Rome whose main contribution to the world was its law and jurisprudence.
>>
>>9699759

If you jump into modern politics you're just going to end up like all the other dumbasses, stuck reading late-phase capitalist crap like Gore Vidal and Chomsky and assuming it's the final word because it's the latest thing published. You need a profound historical knowledge to understand ANYTHING.
>>
>>9699769
>>9699781
This then makes me wonder. With your historical understanding of politics, what ideology do you conform to and how do you view those who are slightly right wing, browse /pol/ then go on the become extreme right wing nationalists?
>>
>>9699812

You need to become much more skillful in veiling your leading questions.
I don't conform to ideology. Neither will you after you've been properly educated.
>>
>>9699759
get out of my board you ignoble son of a whore
>>
>>9699821
>You need to become much more skilful in veiling your leading questions.
What do you mean by this? Also, since you don't have a political ideology then what are your values and where do they stem from? Is there a political ideology that is close to your values?

>>9699837
>get out of my board you igno
I'm 18, and I'm out.
>>
>>9699855

>what are your values

sexual stimulation

>where do they stem from

muh dik
>>
File: 1498578063272.jpg (52KB, 523x724px) Image search: [Google]
1498578063272.jpg
52KB, 523x724px
>>9699855
>I'm 18
>>
>>9699859
sexual liberation is a cancer to society
>>
>>9699860
I'm not a kekistani
>>
>>9699879

The elect have always been sexually liberated.
>>
>>9699891
No, the elect are those who deny themselves and follow Christ!
>>
>>9699901
>implying Sodom and Gomorrah weren't attuned to the One through gnosis and on that account destroyed by the jealous Demiurge, lord of mundus and master of illusion.
>>
>>9699922
I'm not implying I'm saying.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.