[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you recommend some reading for a new reader

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1498748795552.jpg (110KB, 750x715px) Image search: [Google]
1498748795552.jpg
110KB, 750x715px
I just started getting interested in reading. I've played video games my whole life (I'm 27) and want to do something more productive. I'm just so overwhelmed by all the books I can choose. I don't want to buy a book and halfway through realize it's shit. So any help on what I should start off with?
>>
>>9698639
Camus and Hemingway are good places to start. People will shit on me suggesting this, but both The Stranger and The Sun Also Rises are rewarding reads.
>>
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>9698639

If you still enjoy video games id advice to start with a book with a video game setting, havent read one but im sure that they are out there.

Its very important that you read out of interest and do not get forced into reading about greek gods from the start, youll do that in the future but whats more important right now is that you learn to love books.
>>
What kind of games do you like playing? Maybe you can find some books with similar themes or settings.
>>
Try with something light but classical. Maybe Sherlock Holmes, by Arthur Conan Doyle. Altough not the novels, maybe the short stories, and then you move from there. I specially liked "The Sherlock Holmes Adventures" and "Memories". You get an exciting atmosphere that won't get you bored, short stories that will keep you engaged, and you'll train the habit of finishing a story.
>>
>>9698639
Read Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
>>
Start with 1984 like all plebs, then continue reading dystopic novels like Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World, then pick up two books by Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse 5, then read Great Gatsby and something by Salinger, I'd say Catcher in the Rye. From then on you're on your own.
>>
>>9698775
I mostly played Esport trash because I love competition. However I loved stanley's parable for how "deep" it was.
>>
>>9698940
Stanley Parable is dope. Hunger Games and Battle Royale are popular novels about fictional death sports (I haven't read them but they're really popular so they might work for you). Enders Game however I did read and it's fucking awesome, so maybe you'll like that too.

Reading nonfiction is totally legit and there's plenty on sport and games. "Game Feel" is apparently the greatest book on game design ever written, and since I love basketball I really enjoy The Book of Basketball and The Jordan Rules; maybe they'll work for you.

For fiction, spend some time with shorter novels and stay away from anything long or experimental until you really know what your tastes are. Figuring out the difference between what you like vs what you're supposed to like is one of the hardest things about reading for fun.

Authors that I think are great for literally anyone to start with are Douglas Adams (The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy), Kurt Vonnegut (Slaughterhouse 5, The Sirens of Titan) or John Steinbeck (Of Mice and Men).

I don't think it's a good idea to read anything pre-wwii like a few here are suggesting, because the time they were written in was so different than many active readers have trouble relating to them.

Also this board is super elitist but I think reading comics can be just as valuable as reading pure text literature, they're also more accessible and fast to read. I grew up on manga and most of the ones I read engaged me in many of the ways that sports engage me now (the best sports manga I've read so far is Real. Hajime no Ippo, Haikyuu and Slam Dunk are apparently also all very good but I'm watching the animated version). /co/ is ok comics and has a much better taste in manga than /a/.
>>
>>9698657
I've got The Sun Also Rises. It's just... it's fucking trash. I haven't finished it, and there's a chance it gets better later on, but, from what I've read it's just him moping around and talking about how pathetic his yid friend is. Not to mention Hemingway's abhorrent writing style.
>I opened the door and stepped through it, putting one foot in front of the other. Then I walked down the stairs, which were made of wood and creaked as I stepped on them. Then I was outside and I walked down the side walk as people were also walking. Then I stopped and smoked a cigarette outside of French cafe that was made of brick and mortar.
>>
>>9698977
This guy knows his shit, OP. Listen to all that he says.

Since you're a gamer I also recommend reading masters of doom. It's my favorite non fiction on the subject of gaming.
>>
This thread has been infested by the usual reddit tier clowns.

OP why are you "interested in reading"? If you "want to do something more productive" well I hate to break it to you but theres nothing productive about reading either. Consuming media is still consuming media. If you're bored of games and want something more intellectual, thats a good start, but expecting productivity or some moral advantage, you're going to be disappointed.

What are your interests in general, and what draws you to reading, and importantly: why arent you already reading?
>>
>>9699005
>theres nothing productive about reading either.

Not to be an idealist but reading(the right material) widens your world view. Productivity is such a broad term.

>why arent you already reading?

Most didn't grow up in an environment that enables reading to be a leisurely activity either due to lack of encouragement or the lack of exposure to literature in general: if you can only relate reading to your monotonous geography textbooks, you might not exactly discover your love for literature till you discover places like this. You are a perfect example of a snob elitist cunt.
>>
>>9698977
Totally on point with the comics. For that matter, I'd recommend "Blacksad".
>>
>>9699050

Not being an elitist, asking a genuine question, you are the one putting judgement bias into the equation. To first overcome a barrier you must understand it. Some people dont read because they feel intimidated, some dont read because they struggle to focus. The solution differs depending on the context.

Protip for you, don't be a kneejerk reactionary, step up your posting game, especially if you're going to be a tripfag.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.