[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Saw a few of this guys books at the bookstore yesterday.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

Should I go back and cop? Is Foucault worth reading and do I need prior knowledge to understand him?

>INB4 Greeks.

Already read them.
>>
>>9698364
Don't even bother with hacks like Derrida and Foucault.

Plato's Republic, Aristotle's Ethics, Politics, Metaphysics; Descartes Discourse on the Method, Kant's Critique of pure reason, Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit, Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil.

Read/Listen along with these Leo Strauss's lectures on Plato's Republic and Aristotle's Politics and Ethics (these are available on the Leo Strauss centre website); Kojeve's Introduction to the reading of Hegel, Carl Schmitt's The Concept of The Political.
>>
>>9698364
>he hasn't read Nietzsche first
>he hasn't read Heidegger first
just stop now tumblrette you'll never be an intellectual stick to sipping coffee worthless whore!!!
>>
File: índice.jpg (5KB, 236x213px) Image search: [Google]
índice.jpg
5KB, 236x213px
>>
Foucault's histories were written with a general public in mind. I think his stuff in Power/Knowledge is underrated. Society Must Be Defended is a series of lectures by him.

Foucault must be the easiest read among the postmoderns, then again having first read Genealogy of the Morals by Nietzsche and the difficult Being and Time by Heidegger are useful. Machiavelli, Marx and Schmitt are influential in political philosophy in general, and Foucalt and Foucauldians in particular.

If you wanted an hour+ lecture on him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua4wrcS9u3A
>>
>>9698434
>Don't even bother
Don't listen to this part of the post OP.
The degree to which Foucault's thinking has dominated the intellectual landscape for the last 30-40 years necessitates understanding his work. Regardless of one's politics, Foucault should be read.
>>
>>9698364
I jumped right into Discipline and Punish in the first year of undergrad - I saw it mentioned somewhere, I not longer remember where. It's difficult for sure, but it's more than understandable if you have the patience for it.
>>
>>9698550
That said, as this anon says >>9698473 I would really search out his lectures on biopolitics/governmentality (Society Must Be Defended, Birth of Biopolitics and Security, Territory and Population). Perhaps read the first chapter of D&P and the chapter titled 'Panopticism' and then move into the lectures.
>>
>>9698364
the best place to start is with "Three interviews" in the collcetion Power/Knowledge. From there Discipline and Punish is worth the effort. History of Sexuality 1 is also worth the work. I'd pass on Madness and Civilization and Archaeology of Knowledge unless you really need to know them.

Foucault is so influential that, though I heartily disagree with him on many points, I think it's worthwhile to be conversant in some of his ideas and his way of thinking and arguing.
>>
>>9698364
Please don't inb4 as OP. It's poor form.
>>
>>9698434
We right wing boys!
>>
is /lit/ a right wing board now
>>
>>9700454
/lit/ is a catholic centrist board
>>
>>9700459
i'm okay with this
>>
>>9700459
>/lit/ is a retard centrist board
Didn't know this desu
>>
>>9698434
>Kojeve's Introduction to the reading of Hegel
shut the fuck up you dilettante. real men read hyppolite
>>
>>9698569
>>9698569
>I'd pass on Madness and Civilization and Archaeology of Knowledge
I disagree. OP should start with one of the historical works like D&P, but Archaeology should be one of the next works he reads. It's his most difficult, but it's the skeleton key to the rest of his work. If you don't know what he's trying to *do* in a historiological sense, sometimes it's hard to follow why he's bringing up certain sources or what kind of historical continuity he's trying to draw.

To be sure, don't read Madness and Civilization--it's only an abridged version of History of Madness, which is finally available in full in English. However, it is the least profound of his major books.
>>
>>9698456
Underrated post
>>
>>9700573
why is hyppolite better
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.