[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tao Te Ching Vs. Stoic Texts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Mawangdui_LaoTsu_Ms2.jpg (286KB, 453x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Mawangdui_LaoTsu_Ms2.jpg
286KB, 453x1000px
Anybody want to discuss similarities and differences between to two?
>>
>>9696645
I only read white Westeners. I recommend Schopenhauer and Hitler
>>
>>9696645
Daoists seem more like laid back Cynic types rather than stuck up prudish Stoics.
>>
>>9696649
Hmm I thought the Cynics were considered "super Stoics" by the stoics as they not only rejected pleasure but embraced pain and suffering as virtuous.
>>
>>9696645
Stoics don't seem to realize that to be one with out nature is to be ok with the fact that we are mean to be emotional beings, while Lao Tzu understands that to impose human morality on nature is illogical.
>>
>>9696657
Stoicism was invented by a lad who didn't have what it took to be a Cynic and therefore watered it down and ultimately corrupted it.

Stoicism is basically Cynicism with bourgeois sentiments, unnecessary theorising and reduced praxis. Especially Roman stoicism.

Epictetus was right to admire or borderline worship Diogenes though.
>>
>>9696657
Huh? They didn't reject pleasure. Their main thing is to reject society and convention and live in agreement with nature (which ends up being ascetic because of man's rational nature or something like that). Are you combining the classical school with the contemporary idea of cynicism as negative?

They were a further radicalization of the Socratic ethos, though, than the Stoics.
>>
>>9696696
Quite frankly, I'm not all that well read up on the cynics, I just assumed they liked to live like homeless dogs that lack any semblance of shame. When I think of Cynics, I think of Diogenes who begged for food, shat and masturbated in public while pondering virtue.
>>
File: 1443984959394.jpg (15KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1443984959394.jpg
15KB, 400x300px
>>9696645
Instead that as "Tao Te Ching vs. Sonic Texts
>>
>>9696714
Sonic wouldn't last a fucking minute on the streets of Moscow.
>>
>>9696708
That's pretty much it.

OP, Daoism is a blanket term created to cover political undercurrents, Chinese dualism/non-linearity in the form of Ying-Yang, Shamanism, ancestor worship, the search for immortality, Chinese sexual practices, and a large number of moral undercurrents. It's like lumping Christianity, all of Western philosophy sans Plato, Nietzsche, and Hume, Science, chemistry, and mathematics under the term "Philosophy" with European Paganism in the background. It's way too fucking broad of a topic.
>>
File: roasties pls go.jpg (238KB, 800x1233px) Image search: [Google]
roasties pls go.jpg
238KB, 800x1233px
>>9696708
Introductory podcast:
http://www.historyofphilosophy.net/cynics

Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynicism_(philosophy)

Internet Encyclopaedia of Philosophy:
http://www.iep.utm.edu/cynics/

Bunch of works on them here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/zp2ppnxjwj28c//Cynicism

Cynics are very enjoyable to read about because of all the zany antics.
>>
>>9696689
>worship Diogenes
>worshiping a greek schizophrenic bum
>>
>>9696739
Ok, I'm ignorant my anon friend. I'm read up on Stoicism and just started with Tao Te Ching on a recommendation from an acquaintance. Upon noticing some similarities in ideology I became curious, hence this thread. That being said, so far I enjoy Tao Te Ching immensely. I appreciate your reply, anon. Cheers.
>>
>>9696754
doesn't get much more patrician than that familios
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.