[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What Nietzsche to read after Zarathustra

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1497310514897.jpg (418KB, 567x850px) Image search: [Google]
1497310514897.jpg
418KB, 567x850px
I am about to finish Thus Spoke Zarathustra and would like advice as to which Nietzsche to read next.

Let me explain what I'm looking for. I've read on and off throughout my life, but never very seriously. I've always had a vague idea that I really should read, but mathematics always entertained me more and so consumed my time. I was planning out a very long mathematics projects when I realized that I was hesitant because I believed that reading literature/philosophy was a better use of my time than advancing mathematics -- even though the entertainment of mathematics often lured me away from reading. I realized that to fully dedicate myself to the math project, I would need to first address my belief that reading was more important than mathematics. The only way I know how to do this is to completely dedicate myself to reading for the next few months -- and then to see what the outcome is.

I started with Thus Spoke Zarathustra because and old friend used to praise it. I enjoyed it because the life-affirming philosophy preached in it is very relevant in the face of today's more prevalent virtue-signaling philosophy -- but also because the line-to-line prose were fun and easy enough to enjoy when I lost the thread.

As per some advice I read here on /lit/, I think this is the right type of book to pursue right now: at least somewhat intellectually engaging while still fun and easy enough to get through when my still nascent reading comprehension skills fail me.

I also would like to stick with Nietzsche because I enjoyed Thus Spoke Zarathustra and because I figure continual exposure will help make up for my poor reading comprehension when it comes to understanding his philosophy.
>>
After doing some research, I have found that Thus Spoke Zarathustra is the only work that Nietzsche wrote as a story. I'm not sure if I should abandon Nietzsche to sick with stories or if I should abandon stories to stick with Nietzsche.
>>
>>9695750
read Beyond Good and Evil and Genealogy of Morality
>>
Autistic as fuck
>>
>>9695917
What do you think about Kierkegaard? Would he not be the best of both worlds (similar philosophy explicated through story)?
>>
>>9695917
>[Beyond Good and Evil] is a book by philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche that expands the ideas of his previous work, Thus Spoke Zarathustra, with a more critical and polemical approach. -Wikipedia
Okay, that seems like a good idea. I'll do Kierkegaard later.
>>
I think I'm going to go for the Kaufmann translation. It's the translation of Zarathustra that I read and I think it better matches my goals, in particular
>somewhat intellectually engaging while still fun and easy enough to get through.

Thanks for the advice, >>9695917
>>
>>9695750
You definitely shouldn't have started with Thus Spoke Zarathustra, but there's nothing to be done now.

You should at least read "On Truth and Lies in a Non-Moral Sense," "The Greek State," Homer's Contest," all of which are essays. Also, The Gay Science might be to your liking due to the brevity and wit in many of the aphorisms--definitely read "The madman," and "The greatest weight."

There are so many things I could tell you about Zarathustra, as I studied the book with a German philosophy professor this past semester. But I feel they would be impossible to explain since you're not familiar with Nietzsche.
>>
I'm sorry about the awful advice your friend gave you. Here's the best way to read Nietzsche: chronologically. You will never truly understand Nietzsche unless you read the works one by one before Zarathustra and then after. Before Zarathustra he deconstructs, demolishes pretty much all of western thought since Socrates. This is why people who have only read this pre-Zarathustra Nietzsche think of him as a nihilist. But starting with Zarathustra, which can credibly be described as his "bible", he starts constructing. He's a deeply dialectical thinker in reality. f you don't follow my advice you're bound to end up depressed at some point after reading one of his works. Do as you please.
>>
>>9695750
The Gay Science, Genealogy of Morals, or Beyond Good and Evil. All of Nietzche's writing is beautiful and playful, even when dealing with important topics and when not in story form. You really can't go wrong, try one of them.
>>
>>9695916
If you like his story telling read Ecce Homo-- his autobiography. It's my favorite work of his next to TSZ.
>>
>>9696070

>He's a deeply dialectical thinker
>>
>>9696021
>>9696070
>>9696173
Thanks for the advice. I'm interested in what >>9696021 and >>9696173 have to say in response to >>9696070. Do you think reading all of Nietzsche is necessary (in chronological order no less)?

Keep in mind that my goal here is not to become an eminent Nietzsche critic but to ease myself into reading with something that is intellectually engaging. Am I really
>bound to end up depressed
if I just dabble with Nietzsche before narrowing down my interests?
>>
>>9696470

Read camus' myth of sisyphus if you do ever end up depressed, there are some references to nietzche as well iirc.
>>
>>9696470
You normies ruin Nietzsche. Do what you want, I already recommended you the best approach. Still, if you're gonna read another work of Nietzsche start with The Birth of Tragedy. It's the most famous among his earliest works. I've read it a few times throughout the years and each time I learn something new.
>>
>>9696476
I've read the essay Myth of Sisyphus (as opposed to the collection of essays). It was a long time ago, so forgive me if I'm way off. As I remember, it was similar to DFW in that it's main thesis (and I'm paraphrasing here) was
>oh well life is bad just accept all the external bad things and organize your internal things so you can cope
to which I always figured
>yeah, but why not also work on external things?
Again, sorry, I was ill-prepared to read DFW when I did.l

>>9696491
Fair enough. I imagine it's annoying giving advice to someone who is admitting he is a dilettante. I appreciate that you took your time to give me your advice. Thanks.
>>
>>9696021
What is the best way to get those essays? Is there a good collection?

>>9696491
There's a good chance I still read him straight through. Does http://ww.sup.org/nietzsche/list/ do a good job of outlining what order I should read things in?
>>
>>9696470
You don't need to read all of his works to get a picture of his ideas. You can probably get enough out of reading 1 or 2 of his other works, then come back to him later if you feel like it, or if he is referenced in other things you read.

Don't get bogged down or feel like you are forcing yourself to read something.
>>
>>9697206
>>9696470
That being said, if you want to truly understand him and his ideas, chronological order is probably the best way.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.