[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do I start with the Pre-Socratics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Where do I start with the Pre-Socratics?
>>
>>9695309
with the greeks
>>
>>9695312
Serious pls
>>
>>9695309
History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps podcast
>>
Doesn't matter, all you'll get are a few fragments and letters, some of them in the form of "...and I tell you that [unreadable] is the [lost part] of the cosmic f[ire?]." You'll be done in a few days.
>>
>>9695309
Thales
>>
Diogenes Laertius' 'Lives and Opinions of Eminent Philosophers' is the primary resource for pre-Socratics.
>>
>>9695431
or you could read the most recent version of Diels-Kranz and get everything
>>
>>9695443

Sure, but doesn't change the fact Laertius is a good read.
>>
Homer and Hesiod
>>
Nietzsche's Philosophy in the Tragic Age of the Greeks is an interesting read
>>
>>9695460
you got me there
I wish some respectable publisher would come out with a new edition of the Lives
all we have now are expensive Loeb editions and shitty cheapo CreateSpace ones of the same old translation
>>
>>9695319
Good recommendation. OUP's Very Short Introduction on the Pre-Socratics is also very good but doesn't present the philosophers in chronological order so I'd recommend either that podcast or a decent History of Philosophy (Kenny or Coppleston) first. Or if you have a background in philosophy you can get any of the collected fragments (Penguin, Oxford, and Hackett are all good), and Jonathan Barnes helpful book The Presocratic Philosophers.
>>
>>9695309
Oxford World Classics or Kirk Raven Schofield
>>
Pre-Socratics are a shitty meme.
>>
>>9695473

Agreed, is that what they're called--Createspace? I have had to buy far too many of these public domain txt file downloaded from gutenberg books for my liking. I wish I had to the money to open a printing press, there are plenty of books I would like to put back on the market.
>>
>>9695607
the random shitty looking editions of public domain texts you find on, say, amazon are usually published via a print-on-demand self-publishing platform like CreateSpace, yeah
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.