[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me achieve enlightment/understanding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0805.png (205KB, 659x525px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0805.png
205KB, 659x525px
Im pretty new to books and the like (Im a turbo brainlet) but I've recently read and finished Adler J. Mortimer's "How to Read". Reason it caught my attention was because there was a thread where an anon asked how to think. The thread were quite good, and with lot of information. However, after reading "How to Read" I got fascinated by the Great Books of Western Civ. but I had no idea where I would start so I just picked Euclid's "Elements". Now I just feel stuck and demotivated to progress through with it (propositions after propositions).
>>
>>9694038
i find that alot a people have a simlilar quandry as you do an what I always tell 'em is that "you can't start with the greeks unless you already know some goddamn greeks. so here's what you do: start out as a 2yo with all the trappings of a human then begin to learn the language of the people around you MAKE SURE THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU ARE PLATOs that's the key here, my nigga(r), once you got that done ur just about done! alls you need to do is read every thread on /literate/ and tell 'em how you did it! BEgin AS a Geek! I think mostly people will get it (not just get it but GET IT) once ur done though go ahead and read Harry Blooms' "A cannon pointed west or something where he tells you all the good authers: he says "man, shakespeare is the best, he was the first one to be a person" and "Emily dickinson is good even thought shes a women because dont let it deceive you shes still got a dick and thats enough for genius
hope this helped and may you live a long litrary life
>>
>>9694038
go to the library, look around until something catches your eye. read the book.

what your not supposed to do is slog through the great books of western civ because you think it would be a cool thing to do.
>>
>>9694096
>because you think it would be a cool thing to do
It's not because I think it's "cool" that I do it. I want to expand my overall understanding, that's why. I truly want to understand.
>>
>Now I just feel stuck
I can't remember if Mortimer ever says this, but just put the book down and pick up another one. Euclid isn't going anywhere.
>>
>>9694157
I guess so, anon. Any ideas on where to start regarding philosophy?
>>
>>9694202
>brainlet
>wants to read philosophy
>>
>>9694208
We all gotta start somewhere, anon.
>>
>>9694223
You have to start by being intelligent, which is not a learned skill. No matter how hard a person with, say, an IQ of 90 tries, they will never comprehend the major works of philosophy in any meaningful way.
>>
>>9694232
IQ =! Intelligence
>>
File: Start_with_the_greeks.jpg (1MB, 3672x3024px) Image search: [Google]
Start_with_the_greeks.jpg
1MB, 3672x3024px
>>9694038
I'm working the same project as you, anon. I'm not following Adler's list strictly, though. I formed my own list based on it. You should start with "Mythology" by Edith Hamilton. It will teach you the basics of Greek mythology and history which will enable you to understand all the following works which build on each other. Pic related.
>>
>>9694242
Ty anon, I'll do that.
>>
File: meme'd.gif (996KB, 500x265px) Image search: [Google]
meme'd.gif
996KB, 500x265px
>>9694242
>>9694251
>>
Someone post the 13 or so philosophy charts so we can help this man out.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.