[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Journey to the West Worth a read?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: jttw.jpg (58KB, 324x500px) Image search: [Google]
jttw.jpg
58KB, 324x500px
>Journey to the West

Worth a read?
>>
>>9692406

Will reading it help me learn the secrets of immortality?
>>
>>9692406
>>9692422
yes
>>
>>9692406
Anyone know about Romance of the three kingdoms? Is it good?
>>
>>9692406
I've heard good things about it, but the premise doesn't appeal to me. Working through The Story of the Stone now(it's great), and am probably going to go for the Plum in the Golden Vase next. Every other Chinese classic seems more interesting imo
>>
It's fucking awesome, bro. It's like DBZ with even more badass fight scenes.
>>
>>9693663
>One of the four absolute classics of the largest country on earth
>Details the most glorified and interesting part of China's history
>Is it any good?
Gee, anon, I don't know.
>>
be warned chinese doesnt translate particularly well.
>>
>>9693690
that's why I just watch the chinese wuxia dramas for the plot of these novels
>>
>>9693690
the anthony yu translation does a good job

t. chinese studies student
>>
>>9693717
>>9693684
Is it a good idea to read something else before or should I just jump right into it?
>>
>>9693733
It's fairly standalone, though a skim of buddhism would help a bit. The University of Chicago edition (Anthony Yu translation) has plenty of notes.
>>
>>9693749
Thanks anon. I offer you these dubs of power and prosperity.
>>
I also plan on reading the 4 classics, I looked into translation choices and settled on
>Anthony Yu for Journey to the West
>David Hawkes for the Story of the Stone/Dream of the Red Chamber
>Moss Roberts for Romance of the Three Kingdoms
>Sidney Shapiro for Water Margin/Outlaws of the Marsh
Are any of them particularly bad choices for some reason?
>>
>>9693684
Okay, fuck you, I get it, I'll read it.
>>
File: 1496148804956.png (91KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1496148804956.png
91KB, 500x375px
>>9692406
Chinese lit is utterly autistic. You'll love it.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.