[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any books on the political history of Germany?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 3748902.jpg (15KB, 398x186px) Image search: [Google]
3748902.jpg
15KB, 398x186px
Im curious about German politics and how the political system it has today developed. Any book recommendations?
>>
the Arms of Krupp is the only one I can speak of.

It follows the growth of the Krupp steelworks, and its integral importance in Germany's echelons of power abroad and within the nation.
>>
>>9691583

richard j evans trilogy on the weimar republic and the third reich are great on 20th century
>>
>>9691712
This is probably not the best way to have a discussion but I saved a post from /his/ that makes an offhand comment on Evans Third Reich trilogy.

Here's the relevant part:
>"If a work with zero new scholarship is fine - like Evans trio - then Burleigh's " 'New' history " is much better choice. The tone of Evans books is just fugly, he loses no page trying to tell the reader that 'you should feel bad, Nazis were the epithome of evil and you are to blame'."
Do you think he's right about that?

Personally I don't have a problem with an author telling me the Nazis were evil, but since I'm already ware I don't need him to drone on about it for a thousand pages, especially if what he describes the regime doing would enable me to come to my own conclusions.
>>
A good one to pick up is Iron Kingdom by Christopher Clark. It talks about the history of Prussia but it should be a good start.
>>
Read A History of Modern Germany since 1815. It covers a lot
>>
>>9692700
Frank Tipton is the author forgot to mention that
>>
File: 1498362558923.jpg (31KB, 337x370px) Image search: [Google]
1498362558923.jpg
31KB, 337x370px
>>9692707
>>9692109
What is it with Australians and histories of Germany?

I'm sensing a pattern
>>
>>9691583
Iron Kingdom
>>
>>9691833
>Do you think he's right about that?
Not at all, its a great work, and that guy seems "red pilled". The first two books are completely about political rise and social/cultural policy, and do not have value judgments except in the arts section, where evans really hates censorship. The third piece, the third reich at war, definitely excoriates the nazi regime, but he also shifts much of the blame to nationalist militias in ukraine, lithuania, and the balkans, which i have never seen. And while his scholarship may not be new, his mastery of it is obvious.
>>
>>9692792
>that guy seems "red pilled"
Not what I got from the post as a whole

Thank you for your answer though, I will go and read the first volume to see if I like his style

Have you by any chance read The Pursuit of Power?
I've been considering reading that as well and if it's good I might kill two birds with one stone
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17dAgPQsn9E

This should tell you everything you need to know about g*rmans
>>
>>9692817
Yes, its very good but not exactly linear, he tackles mining, workers rights, military advances, military campaigns, 1848 in their own sections.

When I say he seems redpilled I mean that he seems to think that being anti-final solution in a work of history in ww2 is not exactly a controversial position. Evans takes a path more like Arendt however, and tries to justify actual numbers and occurrences of killings throughout eastern europe as opposed to the whole 8 MILLION GASSED position of the 90s.

My favorite part of the work was that on literature, which gave huge amounts of popular works of the time and works which the Nazi regime integrated into their cultural policies.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.