[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Latin: Ecclesiastical or Reformed Classical pronunciation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: datniggacicero.png (478KB, 1070x1769px) Image search: [Google]
datniggacicero.png
478KB, 1070x1769px
I'm an Italianfag, and unlike most of you I studied Latin in high school using the ECCLESIASTICAL pronunciation. Recently, I discovered that most of the rest of the world promotes the Reformed Classical one instead. Which one do you prefer, and which one do you think is more likely to have been actually spoken from about 100 BC to 100 AD?
>>
>>9689307
SIRACH
I
R
A
C
H

fucking protestants
>>
Does it matter?

The differences are negligible and when are you realistically ever going to speak Latin?
>>
How do pronounce Caesar?
Kai-sar?
>>
>>9689319

Meme-sir
>>
>>9689318
You can ask this about anything really, what is the purpose of this post?
Ecclesiastical Latin sounds similar to Italian, reformed classical is a more pure form and it makes reading the Latin golden/silver age authors more interedting
>>
>>9689367

The purpose of the post was to draw attention to the fact that your question is literally meaningless because you're never in fact going to pronounce Latin either way at all.

>REFORMED CLASSICAL is MORE PURE, dude C sounds like K, it makes reading GOLDEN/SILVER AGE AUTHORS more interesting

You are memed as fuck.
>>
I hang out with a lot of medievalists and I was taught in a Classics department, and I will say, I occasionally have a lot easier time using and "thinking in" the language than they do.

I feel like the difference between us isn't so much "classical vs. a different pronunciation" as vs. "classical vs. who gives a fuck about pronunciation as long as you can read and maybe write it." So maybe the benefit of learning classical is simply that consistency was enforced? Because I have a very consistent and precise way of pronouncing everything, when I want to "hear" it inside my head or speak a passage out loud, it's a simple procedure. When my medievalist friends do the same, they're hesitant or they just fudge it.
>>
>>9689307
Well the reformed version, obviously. Isn't that the point of it?

>>9689383
Well if you're seriously dealing with Latin poetry you should take care of the pronunciation. Pronunciation can affect the overall feel of a poem massively. Not a Latin example, but when I encountered older poetry from my language it sounded like shit because my accents were totally wrong, ruined both the trochaic rhythm and the rhymes. In English too, Shakespeare rhymed love and move. It is nonsensical to read his sonnets in modern pronunciation. So I would expect a similar situation in Latin poetry. Your example could noticeably affect the alliteration.
Do you even know Latin?
>>
>>9689437

>Shakespeare rhymed love and move

And it becomes immediately apparent that he is doing so as soon as you read the fucking line

You don't have to make some autistic declaration about which "pronunciation" you're henceforth going to use

>ahh yesss, well you know when I am speaking in English I tend to prefer the Shakespearian pronunciation, that way when I read his sonnets I know to rhyme love with move haa hmmmm yess
>>
>>9689437
whats your language
>>
>>9689450
Croatian

>>9689447
So how are you going to read it, genius? If you gave a flying fuck about poetry you'd care about the way you read it. No, you don't have to make that declaration and I don't know who itt made anything like itin the first place.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.