[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do i start reading?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: 4J5v3uO.png (35KB, 636x515px) Image search: [Google]
4J5v3uO.png
35KB, 636x515px
Questions to those who started reading books with the goal to start reading books: How did you motivate yourself to read something?
>>
I have a few

Try to detach yourself from the Internet. You will have nothing else to do if you don't have access to the Internet.

Start with books that interest you and are easy to read and finish, then move to harder ones
>>
incrementalism. if you haven't read in years, you shouldn't immediately try to read the western canon in order. Pick the book that inspired you to want to read, and read it, taking as much time as you need
>>
File: 20061002093144_570.jpg (14KB, 430x100px) Image search: [Google]
20061002093144_570.jpg
14KB, 430x100px
>>9687056

Start with small books, and always carry one around with you everywhere. Eventually when you're bored at a bus stop or something, you can pull it out and read a few pages, and once you start you'll be inclined to keep going.

If you're at home, you'll default to accessing your computer and internet over reading, so you won't read. Make sure you have access to your books away from home, during your commute or during lunch break and such.
>>
Find the kind of book you really love and can't put down, stick to it until your taste evolves and you want something else... and repeat the process...

I'll add a list of literature that I feel can be fun from front to back [even] for someone just starting. Maybe you can check out the first pages on amazon or something and find sth you like.

Kosztolányi: Kornel Esti
Salinger: The Catcher in the Rye
Murakami: (doesn't really matter what)
Kafka: The Metamorphosis
Thompson: Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas
Pynchon: The Crying of Lot 49
Dürrenmatt: The Judge and His Hangman

Another piece of advice: If you have a book that you'd like to read, sit down with the goal of reading at least 10 pages. 10 pages isn't much, it'll not take you more than a quarter of an hour. What often happens is that after half a page you feel bored and want to put a book down, but after 10 pages a good book will have you hooked already. If it hasn't, let it go and try another time maybe.
>>
I keep telling myself that reading only has positives outcomes.
>>
>>9687056
books are wisdom. no wisdom makes you a dumbfuck. being a dumbfuck is bad?
>>
File: 1493577019001-int.jpg (121KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1493577019001-int.jpg
121KB, 480x640px
>>9687056

I didn't have to motivate myself - I wanted to read, so I did. That's all there is to it tbqphwyf
>>
File: 1443299541282.jpg (37KB, 537x360px) Image search: [Google]
1443299541282.jpg
37KB, 537x360px
>>9687139
>Can be fun from front to back
>Catcher in the Rye
>>
>>9687056
Buy books, buy NICE books.
>>
the best motivation for me is talking with people who usually read a lot
i feel silly and decide to start a new book
>>
Dude it's just about finding something you like trust me you'll find something the problem is that there's soooo many books out there, up to you to decide what you want to read.
>>
File: slaughterhouse 5.jpg (26KB, 304x500px) Image search: [Google]
slaughterhouse 5.jpg
26KB, 304x500px
get this at the library and read it. This book took me from never having read a book outside of high school to reading 3 books a month
>>
>>9687137
This anon got it right.

Trying to steer clear of your computer to read is a nice thought and might work for some, but for most this isn't realistic.
>>
>>9689433
this.
>>
>>9690879
>3 books a month
Pleb
>>
Start with the Greeks
>>
>>9691815
What Greeks?
>>
>>9691735
Hey, want to be my friend? I've read two books this year
>>
>>9687056
the more books you read the less dumb you are
>>
>>9692159
I still want to know which Greeks I should read
>>
>>9692907
The wiki has a chart for starting with the Greeks.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.