[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anything come close to this series? I have yet to find a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: Hyperion_cover (1).jpg (56KB, 230x400px) Image search: [Google]
Hyperion_cover (1).jpg
56KB, 230x400px
Does anything come close to this series? I have yet to find a book that can surpass the Hyperion cantos in my opinion.
>>
Too Like the Lightning came close for me. Other than that Hyperion is still my top Opera
>>
Depends on what you mean by "come close". I've only read the series' first book so far, but compared to The Book of the New Sun, the writing is (imho) just pulp.
Otoh I can see how Hyperion's plot is a lot more enjoyable / engaging with its grand scale and heaps of fun + imaginative details. (And I feel that New Sun should maybe have gone without the fifth book, where eventually its plot does reach a larger scale.)
>>
my friend has this book in his house next to the toilet. probably covered in years of poo particles
>>
>>9687053
I highly recommend the other three. I think they are just as good. I think what grabbed me was the battle between humanity, the AIs, and the ousters. And the unanswered questions that opened my head to wild theories. I'm looking for other series that can do that to me
>>
>>9687315
Rise of Endymion was seriously disappointing with retcons and all you need is love ending. I love the first books and the universe though.

>>9686984
Ilium and Olympos
>>
Dune is the superior sci-fi epic. Hyperion is okay, but severely overrated, and the sequels honestly suck. Simmons is definitely a one hit wonder. The movie is going to be interesting to watch play out.
>>
pretty much anything desu
>>
File: IMG_0831.jpg (111KB, 640x490px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0831.jpg
111KB, 640x490px
>>9688901
Agree with you on "Rise...". It's like Simmons didn't know what to do and pulled a crappy ending out of his ass.
>>
File: 2 shadow.jpg (321KB, 1182x1920px) Image search: [Google]
2 shadow.jpg
321KB, 1182x1920px
>>9686984
I really enjoyed Hyperion, but there are a lot of better books imho, even if we just stick to SF.
Book of the New Sun immediately comes to mind as one of the best things I have ever read, of any genre.
I've enjoyed several works by Heinlein, Philip K Dick, Ursula Le Guin, even Iain M Banks more than Hyperion.
Having said that, the Shrike is an incredibly memorable character.
>>
I thought Hyperion was cool at first when i thought it was some old influential sci fi novel, then i realised it was actually not old at all, and simmons just copied a bunch of shit from marvel comics.
>>
>>9686984
hyperion is shit, you deserve to read all of the schlock you get recommended.

>>9688918
simmons has some notable works in horror that were a breath of fresh air in that genre. not one hit, though hyperion is what he's known for.
>>
>>9688918
I think simmons has a better grasp of fantastic imagery than herbert does 2 b 8ch
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.