[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How /lit/ is your city, anon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 24

File: 1498440170607.png (116KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1498440170607.png
116KB, 500x400px
How /lit/ is your city, anon?
>>
How slick is your clitty?
>>
>>9685451
I live in the number one most illiterate city in the United States of America.
>>
>>9685473
Chicongo?
>>
>>9685451
I've had two separate homeless people hassle me about Blake and Joyce. Nobody talks to me when I read in public.
>>
>>9685493
Why would it be Chicago
>>
>>9685501
Which city, pal?
>>
File: nyc.jpg (3MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
nyc.jpg
3MB, 3072x2304px
>>9685451
/lit/ af
>>
I don't go outside.
>>
I decided to walk to the bookstore in Chicago today and an obese black man in thug gangsta clothes rode by me on an undersized bike and yelled "I'm gonna SHOOT a faggot!" at me.
>>
>Oakland

It's alright. We're right next to Berkeley and San Francisco, which are relatively /lit/ (not as pseud as people think the latter is)
>>
>>9685906
>San Jose
I really don't know how to describe it...
>>
>>9685451
I don't live in a city.
>>
File: 1459460044329.jpg (30KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
1459460044329.jpg
30KB, 576x432px
I live in a small rural city with likely very few people who can spell the word "literature". Good second hand book shop though. I managed to find a lurker who lives here by complaining about the local library on /lit/
>>
>>9685890
you should try getting out a job so u dont have to live in section 8 housing my dude
>>
>>9685950
I agree with your assessment of this city's black population.
>>
>>9685890
you must really be looking silly my man

captcha: libbie mobydick
>>
>>9685451
Toronto is extremely /lit. Loads of used book stores. A great chain of used book stores BMV. a couple universities and colleges that each have book stores. Shitloads of libraries. Every neighborhood has one. Loads of those free little library boxes that people share books. I usually steal them and sell them to bmv. Every area seems to have at least 2 used book stores. In the annex I count 5. Yonge and Dundas 10 minute walk away 6 book stores. It's great.
>>
>>9685451
In Melbourne reading is almost exclusively kept alive by hipsters. Melbourne has a shitload of them so while books aren't dying taste isn't going anywhere good.
>>
Boston is fuckin wicked lit dude
>>
File: womyn.jpg (24KB, 310x474px) Image search: [Google]
womyn.jpg
24KB, 310x474px
>>9686025
>taste isn't going anywhere good
are you opressing me?
>>
>>9686065
>Australian writer
>womeme
>none of her stories are set in Australia
>exclusively writes about fellow womemes being oppressed by systems which don't understand them
This country is a joke. My Australian text in year 12 was a collection of essays by Michael Leunig, a newspaper cartoonist.
>>
>>9685451
I live in Phoenix, all of our used book stores are filled exclusively with "... For Dummies" books.
>>
>>9685451
I live in Peru, in Lima lit people are either lit students with different quality of taste or cringy yound adult/slam poetry admirers.

Kinda good used book circuit tho.
>>
One bookstore selling flavour of the month memes, crime fiction paperbacks, school books and office equipment etc, in other words 'everything', philosophy section is self-help / zen for dummies / entirely random selection of heavier stuff (critique of pure reason costs 50€)

Flea markets are the best book stores here anyway.

One mediocre library with group / lecture rooms that nobody uses. Qtπ can be found studying.

Lots of literature groups for middle aged women ??
>>
i live in northampton, ma, it's pretty /lit/
lots of good used bookstores in the area (tho 2 that i liked have closed in the 5 years i've been here)
kelly link, mo willems, and eric carle live here. noam chomsky, emily dickenson, and augusten burroughs are from the area. it's also a webcomics mecca. kc green and jeph jacques live here, among others. sonic youth and the pixies also live here.
>>
Vancouver is very lit, home of renowned philosopher ontilogicool
>>
>>9686165
northampton always had a strong comics background due to tmnt founders being from there

also there is a president from noho but he was a dumbass who helped pump the bubble that lead to the great depression so maybe that's why you didn't count him

also, don't forget the band speedy ortiz is from there too

is the board room skateshop still in business?
>>
>>9686025
There's some nice second hand bookstores around. I was excited to the Catholic bookstore in the city since I've never heard of a thing like that back where I'm from but its mostly stuff for old grandmas and costs $30

>>9686115
I fucking ha`te Leunig.
>>
>>9686165
pretty sure that smug lesbian from msnbc has a summer home there
>>
File: 1496601646713.png (953KB, 1280x1381px) Image search: [Google]
1496601646713.png
953KB, 1280x1381px
San Francisco is intolerable and I can't leave

It does have nice bookstores and yuppies leaving boxes of undergrad books on the sidewalk when they inevitably can't afford to live here anymore, but none of the tech bros want to talk about anything past brave new world and zero to one-tier lit.

The burning man slags that went to college are into Plath and Woolf, but they are also into Jamal, Anal, and Ketamine.

I hide my lit hobby because I know I am a pseud, and haven't used my library card in a couple years because Civic Center has been overrun by hoards of homeless.

All in all, a mixed bag.
>>
>>9686196
still u got the best weather in the united states to comfort u at least.

>zero to one

he spews so much libertarian shit in that book but then almost all of his revenue at palantir is from government contracts, typical republican hypocrite
>>
>>9686177
i actually used to live in the same house the tmnt guys used to live in! it's the oldest duplex in noho, according to my friend :o
also i didn't know speedy ortiz was from here, i love them!
i'm not sure about the skate shop but i'll walk down main st and armory st tomorrow and report back if this thread's still here

>>9686195
she has a house in cummington, a half hour away
>>
>>9686203
> be billionaire
> have sycophant student write up notes from your """""lectures""""" at Stanford
> put 2x2 grids of simple dichotomies on every other page
> bestseller

Met people here who unironically claim this book changed their lives.
>>
>>9686207
oh wait the president was calvin coolidge not hebert hoover, i just remember i went in the library and they had some room dedicated to him with all this memorabilia and shit
>>
>>9686221
also he's another one of those assholes who tells people not to go to school because it's "not worth it" and "doesn't teach you anything" etc meanwhile he has a fucking JD from stanford, and always prattles on about how studying with rene girard as an undergrad influenced him, give me a fucking break
>>
I'm living in a town where people from Wellington go to retire. Local doctors call it "God's Waiting Room." A little over half the population are over 60.

There's a village up the way with a Maori name that everyone just shortens to Pie Cock.

To answer OP's question: I have no clue, I'm a recluse.
>>
I live in Skopje, you haven't heard of it, right? It's the capital city of Macedonia. Oh, you haven't heard of it too?

Well, guess why. It's the shittiest country in the world. The whole country is the same
>>9685890
Here you can't even get shot so you'll miserable life can end. You wish you could get.

The country is too poor to translate classics into native language because the copyrights are too expensive. Today's translations are jack shit. Copies of the older translations can't be found anywhere.

There aren't any classics in the second hand bookshops because everyone has bought the popular ones just for collection.

The book choice in libraries depresses you, there were like 2-3 Dostoevsky books about which you haven't even heard.

You can start a conversation about classic books with like 3-4 compeers in the whole city who neglect their outlooks, and the others are pretentious.

Niggers don't even come here, the few that come only fuck our girls.

I'm basically a pseud, with a basic level of literacy and knowledge about literature, and I'm still better than 95% of the population. I don't even know how I got this far. 90% are potheads.

Salaries and standards are too low to leave the country, the rich people leave instead.
>>
>>9686252
> "dude don't go to school, just start the next PayPal with your friend and former competitor, the-next-Elon-Musk lol"
>>
>>9685529
He said chicongo you illierate faggot, learn to read
>>
Literate enough to read the labels on liquor bottles and buttons and display screens on a lottery machine.
>>
>>9685451
This whole thread is nothing but whiny little cunts admitting they know nothing about their city's proper literature scene.
>>
>>9685590
A small one. It's in Ireland so it's probably cheating.
>>
>>9685965
Toronto is extremely pseud. Been living here for a year now. Book stores all around. There are no readers though. Canadians in general don't read a lot. I've seen some people sitting in the TTC with a really shitty pulpy piece of mass-market bullshit. But hey, Margaret Atwood, amirite?
>>
File: alxmecu.jpg (32KB, 255x320px) Image search: [Google]
alxmecu.jpg
32KB, 255x320px
>>9686292
This place really went shit after Alexander got shot
>>
>>9686467
Where do you live faggot?
>>
File: 1362889520242.png (68KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1362889520242.png
68KB, 250x250px
>>9686172

Really? I should hit her up. That wouldn't be weird, right?
>>
File: WP_000500.jpg (932KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
WP_000500.jpg
932KB, 2560x1920px
>>9685451
Santa cruz fag reporting

quentin tarantinooo sometimes visits this coffee shop 2 blocks from my house

mfw everyone here thinks tumblr is an appropriate outlet for their "writing"
>>
>>9686292
This post is very funny but also very sad.
>>
I'm not aware of the /lit/ness around here, but I know that we've a public library made by an overrated architect.
>>
>>9685451
It's a city of readers, but certainly not a city of writers
>>
>>9686292
>tfw
bosnia here. My town had just one copy of the Odyssey, Aeneid, Metamorphosis. Some books are just nonexistent.
>>
northeast alabama
>>
>>9685965
>tfw Mississauga is nothing but smelly Punjabis and loud Chinese
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
How lit is my city?
>check pic related for answer
>>
>>9685451
>Dublin

Pros:
>lots of bookshops, both franchise and family owned
>a decent number of local writers that keep local interest high
>reading on the train isn't pretentious, as most people do it to avoid any interaction with crazies
>plenty of social groups to get into if you like discussing literature

Cons
>Bloomsday
>the city centre is covered in hipster-cliques that read complete shit
>most of the current crop of Irish writers are shit and they bring down the quality of discourse as a whole

Moderately /lit/, I suppose.
>>
>>9685924

How I envy you.
>>
Austin here.

Hipsters everywhere (half price books is SO cash)
>>
Istanbul, you tell me.
>>
>>9685924
Flyover faggot detected
>>
I live in the boonies and I'm pretty sure some people here can't read at all. Not very /lit/.

And any of you faggot larpers who 'love' Christianity need to come out here and stare it in the face. I had a kid tell me vehemently, unsolicited, why evolution is an elaborate liberal lie concocted by the Obama administration.
>>
>>9686771
>people still read Harry Potter
holy shit
>>
>>9686060
>implying
>>
>>9685493
>>9686294
You need to go back
>>
File: 1498468818025.jpg (162KB, 1441x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1498468818025.jpg
162KB, 1441x1080px
>>9686890
>American """Christianity"""
>>
>>9685451
>living in any city anywhere
>>
>>9686890
>And any of you faggot larpers who 'love' Christianity
They're all Catholics, they'd probably tell the kid that Protestantism is an elaborate lie concocted by proto-nazi Luther to sell pork to gentiles.
>>
>>9686196
>tech bros
>>
>>9686025
melbourne has art fags going back 45 years plus. highly educated eastern suburb baby boomers i imagine would read. i live in the west not many readers out here clearly lol
>>
London
In terms of book availability I suppose it's quite good, though there are some rare books that I haven't been able to find
In terms of an actual lit culture/scene - awful. Just SJW hipster pseuds
>>
>>9687539
australia here. pipe down whinging pom bastard.
>>
I wish I've lived in western world
>>
>>9686771
Stuttgart?
>>
File: 1479370518325.png (905KB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
1479370518325.png
905KB, 4096x2304px
>>9687601
I wish I didn't live in the western world. Being at the center of everything is exhausting. I just want to tend to some sheep, write short stories, and drink beer at the local pub on Friday night. There's too much ambition in the west, not enough land, and not enough meditation.
>>
>>9685906
Berkeley is surprisingly lit
>>
>>9686994
Lol christians rednecks in the south are not catholic try again.
>>
>>9686292
Hey man another Macedonian on /lit/ ?
How old are you/ what municipality you from ?
>>
>>9685451

The city I live in has consistently been ranked as one of the most /lit/ cities in all of Burgerland (sometimes topping the list), according to an annual survey which ran (runs?) for a number of years in recent years. The survey takes into account basic statistics like libraries and newspapers and bookstores per capita, and (I would assume) a few other metrics along those lines.

Independent bookstores tend to specialize. There is a joint sci-fi/mystery shop, a sci-fi/fantasy/comics shop, some crappy paperback resellers, a gommunist bookstore, three occult bookstores that I know about, a good four-or-five decent general interest stores, one really FINE store downtown with $500bux art books and such, and then about three dozen B&Ns and Half Price Books scattered about the place in addition to all of the college bookstores. On top of this, hundreds of white liberals in residential areas and several local businesses have these little free "leave-a-book-take-a-book" kiosks on their properties.
>>
>>9687655
behold, the reading comprehension of /lit/
>>
>>9687665
22, Aerodrom.

You?
>>
>>9686292
tfw mnogu pamet za /lit/
>>
Montreal is quite lit.
>>
>>9686292
probaj akademska kniga brat ama se e preskapo tamu i obicno u angliski ama :shrug: zatoa imas online da citas, ne e isto custvo ama rip
>>
>>9686292
Why is it even called Macedonia?
>>
>DC

It's only alright. The whole town is practically gentrifying. Almost everyone you meet is a transplant. Whenever I meet someone and tell them I'm actually from D.C., they're always impressed. There are also a ton of liberals here, which has led to a huge upsurge in fag pride throughout the city. Fuck, I remember, back when I was a kid, there used to be parts of he city you just couldn't go to because it was too ghetto. But now, currently, you'll find all the blacks driven out by yuppies and fags. Every street corner you turn, you'll see a fag flag. As far as book stores go, there are only a handful of decent see book stores. Aside from that, everyone here is too caught up in politics and other SJW bull shit. The only virtue of living here is, admittedly, the diversity. There are all kinds of people living here, from all over the world. Oh, I almost forgot: there are very attractive women living here, too. But too bad they're all trashy, classless whores.

>inb4 i want to move to D.C.

Fuck off, were full
>>
>>9688014
Sounds awful.
>>
>>9688014
wasn't DC always liberal aside from the ghettos?

>>9688002
why not? we consider ourselves as ancient macedons mixed with slavs n shiet, its a good name and our regional identity developed as "macedonians" any way
>>
>>9688014
The bookstores are nice atleast. Second Story books up in Dupont Circle is neat because while it's expensive, they sell a bunch of antique posters and stuff. Once I found a Italian Mussolini propaganda poster while looking at stuff, was expensive but would have been neat to pick up.

Rent is nasty tho, I pray for the day that gentrification hits east of Anacostia river just to open more of the city.
>>
File: 14410239778844.png (785KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
14410239778844.png
785KB, 1080x1080px
>>9688039
>we consider ourselves as ancient macedons mixed with slavs n shiet
>we consider ourselves as ancient macedons
Please be joking.
>>
What even counts as /lit/ for a city? How do you get involved in a "literary scene"? I ask this because I'm from a failed town where such things aren't in existence.
>>
>>9688048
no?

>>9688050
if you're in the US you have amazon so thats all the /lit/ your city needs to be imo, i've ordered books off amazon here as well but gotta wait a while and the shipping is usually 7-8$ plus im poor so only did it a few times
>>
>>9688079
>no?
That's hilarious mate.
>>
>>9688090
y? not even that weird by balkan standards, average balkanite (greeks included) is simple as fuck there's a reason we still kill reach other in the annual wars we have now n again
>>
File: ferr.jpg (512KB, 1913x1591px) Image search: [Google]
ferr.jpg
512KB, 1913x1591px
>>9686172
I'd wager Victoria is more /lit/ what with Munro's bookshop being co-owned by Alice Munro. That and Vancouver Island is the perfect retreat to write.
>>
>>9686890
It's because protestants are subhuman
>>
>>9687655
>he thinks /lit/'s Christian larpers are redneck southerners
>not Catholics
enjoy being an illiterate hillbilly.
>>
>>9685451
i don't live in a city
i live a short walk from jane austen's house tho
>>
>Sliema.
None at all lmao
>>
>>9686890
Two points:
a) Protestants are not Christian. Only people who belong to Christ's Church (not Luther's or Calvin's) can be properly called Christian.
b) Evolution is, indeed, a lie. But not because of Obama, of course, but because Darwinism violates basic laws of probability theory. (Central Limit Theorem, etc.)
>>
File: punpun-8404.jpg (53KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
punpun-8404.jpg
53KB, 320x320px
>>9685451
>Los Angeles

It's the artist capital of the world but probably for all the wrong reasons. So it's pretty /lit/
>>
>>9688582
Damn dude, we may have passed one another in the street.
>>
>>9687851
I don't know if you're talking about Berkeley, but I when I lived in Berkeley I found everything you are listing in that city, roughly the amount youre giving, and it wasnt that /lit/. Occult and sci-fi stores were really bad, and the comic book stores were surprisingly skant half the time.
>>
>>9686252
>deliberately ignoring Thiel's constant refrain that anyone who isn't a would-be startup founder with Girardian hidden truth should go to school to justify "muh ebil libertarian" narrative

Its not a great book, but notable in managing to be both a /biz/ startup guide and a techno-optimist criticism of postmodernism. Presumably the latter of which is why faggots like you feel so threatened by it. Though Thiel not being a good gay who follows his prescribed ideology is probably also scary.

There there.
>>
Seattle. Most pseud city contender probably. Every single bookstore girl doesn't know the writers I'm asking(pretty entry level stuff around here) for and give condescending looks when you pick out a book with more than a couple hundred pages. Tumblrinas.. oh and people read humor books in public. My friend circle still talks about their assigned reading in high school when they feel classy.
I need new friends desu.
>>
>>9687958
ne razbiram sto sakas da kazes?
>>9687989
znam za akademska kniga. vcera bev, imam kupuvano od tamu. ama na angliski koga ke ja procitas braka karamazovi javi mi se. i ako citam na kompjuter bez oci ke ostanam na 25 godini.
>>9688039
Not joking. We were on top ones. Today everything is hypocritically turned upside down. Just like YA is more popular than classics.
>>
>>9686841
Also Dublin, I hate this city.
>>
>>9686890
>generalizes the religion of johnsin and newman from one experience
Hmmm, I wonder how you ended up living near such people. Maybe you hace something in common?
>>
>>9688101
Even the graffiti in the sewers have fucking footnotes.
>>
Rome....did i just win?
>>
How do you people even live in the city? Do your parents pay your rent or do you live in the projects?
>>
>>9686926
> living anywhere

how can corporeal beings even compete?
>>
>>9689369
AI is my spirit animal.
>>
>>9689263
Not unless you mean Vatican City, which is likely the most /lit/ place on earth
>>
>>9689361

its called getting a job you slacker
>>
>>9689418
Selling heroin isn't a job
>>
>>9689458

what are you even on about?
>>
>>9689466
You can't live in the city without being a yuppie or a drug dealer
>>
>>9689501

this might come as a shock to you but --get this--you're wrong.
>>
>>9689501
Uh, how is this even an opinion?
>>
>>9685451

edinburgh is pretty /lit/

nice mixture of pseuds and harry potter readers
>>
ITT:

>I live in NYC, it's full of poseurs and minorities I hate.
>Try Chicago, it's full of minorities I hate (also, apparently I dress like a fag).
>Oh yeah? Try Phoenix. The only books you can find are "...For Dummies" books. Don't even HAVE minorities.
>...
>In Macedonia, we ground our last books into dust so that we had something to extend our dwindling supply of corn meal, which makes up our every meal.

Good thread, team. Keep it up.

I live in a particularly shitty college town where the college and the town don't get along all that well. College is way too professional and so isn't really /lit/, because it's always geared towards academia and no one seems to enjoy it. Town is too poor to be /lit/. There's one really good bookstore, though.
>>
>>9689777
>Don't even have minorities
>this makes a city less /lit/
Pseuds baka
>>
File: ss+(2014-11-25+at+10.36.55).jpg (19KB, 401x276px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2014-11-25+at+10.36.55).jpg
19KB, 401x276px
>>9685451
Lot of normies that read young adult stuff, but there's also a good amount of quality lit from the past two centuries and it's still kept popular by schools and a good number of people + there's a local art scene which celebrates the written word among other mediums. Apart from that, I live in the city where Hunter S. Thompson came to write in the early 60s, where John Kennedy Toole was stationed as an English teacher for the military, and where Pedro Salinas once resided and is now buried in.
There used to be a Borders, but it closed up and went away, so now we just have a bunch of independent bookstores, some good some bad.
>>
/lit/ cities went extinct many decades ago.
>>
>DC

Russia just needs to nuke this shithole already.
>>
>>9688655

Just the simple fact that a given area has a "high volume of stuff" tells you a lot, even if it isn't all to your taste, or "muh culture" isn't as refined perhaps as you might like it to be. Places with a large number of institutions devoted to the written word still deserve a certain baseline of /lit/ cred.

But I will say that about half/a third of the places I've been in have genuinely decent/good selections for what they are. And I've been in shops where people were actually discussing Wittgenstein and Proust and being nice about it with each other and discussing the content, so there's that too.
>>
File: 1470761016357.png (530KB, 850x441px) Image search: [Google]
1470761016357.png
530KB, 850x441px
>>9689361

Yeah I couldn't afford to live downtown to be honest. We have a bit of a housing problem because certain foreigners discovered this was a safe place to dump their cash.
>>
>>9688600
*Pope Francis' Church
>>
>>9689410
how about fucking shut up
>>
>>9685451
pretty /lit/ got a book store on every block of downtown
>>
>>9686841
>Moderately /lit/, I suppose.
>Joyce, Flann O'Brien, Beckett, Brendan Behan, Paddy Kavanagh, JP Donleavy, Sally Rooney
come on, you pleb.
>>
>>9691362
>Sally Rooney
Oh you
>>
File: portoviejoimpuestopredial.jpg (120KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
portoviejoimpuestopredial.jpg
120KB, 500x334px
Not /lit/.
It's not entirely devid of culture though, as there's always some event on the weekends, but it's always about music, art or film. There is not one decent bookstore, only YA and best-sellers stores. There used to be a pretty good bookstore but it was destroyed in an earthquake.
I wish one of the bookstore chains would open a store here.I want to work at one of those.
>>
File: 20170626_153500.jpg (4MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20170626_153500.jpg
4MB, 4128x3096px
Tijuanafag here.
The city is pretty /lit/, there are a bunch of bookstores downtown and we have a 3 day book fair every year. I got a bangin version of Joyce's portrait for 3 dlls at this bookstore that has a bunch of old books.
>>
>>9685890
Stop living in Englewood
>>
>>9685451
Baltimore, incredibly or not at all depending on the block you're in.
>>
>>9686060
I'm moving to Boston in two months. What makes it so lit?
>>
I live in Sonoma County, 40 min from SF, beautiful nature all around me, well read, highly educated population, with a good mix of hot white girls and Latinas. All in all, it's pretty good. It's expensive though...
>>
Vancouver is a good place to be a cynic
>>
>>9691996

prolly the academic culture
>>
Madison. It's mostly terrifyingly generic sjws and disillusioned dudebros that have never read a book. There are a couple good bookstores downtown tho
>>
>>9685451
>Berlin

Oh boy.
>>
File: 8a0d7c5a9ced08833a44e85575ab30fe.jpg (197KB, 731x1024px) Image search: [Google]
8a0d7c5a9ced08833a44e85575ab30fe.jpg
197KB, 731x1024px
>>9685451
>small
>capital city
>university town
>expensive
>good bookstores
>cheap second-hand bookshops

Probably pretty /lit/ but I barely leave the house.
>>
>Stockholm

you be the judge
>>
>>9685452
Nice.
>>
>>9689505
>>9689555
If you come from a poor background and do not yet have an education it's pretty accurate
>>
>>9686115
Hahahaha, I was in the exact same situation with Leunig- he's a total pseud, and his pictures are pretty samey. Melbourne is interesting because we seem to have a fairly quiet but productive reading culture that doesn't tend to toot its horn: lots of used bookstores, many of which sell local writers' works. I know that I'm going to be (rightly) pilloried by other Australians, but I reckon Brunswick's a pretty cool place, though I'll metamorphose into David Bowie before that place produces a writer with any staying power. The huge amount of cafes around the city also help.
>>
>>9694596

my dude i can name two good poets living in brunswick off the top of my head. probs weren't produced there I guess. Brunswick is actually a fucking sick
>>
>>9694360
Probably good muslim scholars up there.
>>
>>9685501
I once had a homeless woman tell me that what I was reading (stoner) was pointless and that I should read Chauncer
>>
File: mfw im joel.jpg (18KB, 512x451px) Image search: [Google]
mfw im joel.jpg
18KB, 512x451px
Hailing from Pittsburgh. Seems to be a fairly active literary scene (Littsburgh), but it seems pretty exclusive and leaning towards the far-left. I've written a few indie flops and have considered attempting to be more "active" in that community, but social anxiety...
>>
>Cambridge
We have Harvard and MIT, so yeah
>>
>>9691972
probably hyde park
>>
>>9685451
Durham, NC. Not even a little /lit/...
>>
A college student tries to use the 10 items or less line of a Central Square supermarket. The cashier notices that he has 12 items. He asks the kid: "Are you from Harvard and can't count or from MIT and can't read?"
>>
>>9694971
>be more "active" in that community

How
>>
The used book stores here are full of classics and old records of early Ontario, I think it's due to the old money and the generally good standard of education.
>>
File: image.jpg (312KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
312KB, 1024x682px
>>9685906
>oakland
i'm literally moving out of the 510 tomorrow—good riddance. i hate california, i hate berkeley, i dislike the people in sanfran (not to mention it's disgusting and chilly over there).

i can't wait to go back to my cozy little hamlet in tennessee, home of the longest running literary quarterly in america. flannery o'connor, eliot, lewis, berry, pound, etc… not to mention publishing cormac mccarthy's first work.

/lit/ is not a city, it's a small community with roots deep and wide.
>>
>>9694913
did you mean Chaucer?
some of them have to be English majors. the homeless guy who talked to me about Joyce could quote shit deep in Chamber Music, like he doubled down when I raised an eyebrow about his Ulysses rendition. he could barely fucking stand under his own power but quoting Joyce was piss easy for him.
>>
>>9696608
I did the opposite: moved from Cali to Tennessee.

Which part are you from?
>>
>>9696656
30 minutes outside of chattanooga. i'm from tennessee and have been living in cali for the past three years. tomorrow, i'm getting on a plane and moving to TN.

how d'you like the volunteer state so far?
>>
Tulsa itself is retarded but apparently it is the HQ for prominent Joyce scholars. So it's actually /lit/

also I have to post from my phone because the capcha is not showing up on chrome. what's up?
>>
>>9694887
I'm not the guy you replied to, but it kinda gets to me how people fetishize Brunswick's diversity. They talk about it like it's a fucking human zoo, where you can come and ogle the recent migrants before retreating to your white safe space for brunch.
>>
>>9697316
Mind you I'm a latte-sipping wanker from Northcote, so don't take my opinion too seriously.
>>
>>9686771
dude, harry potter is a classic, oh wait no, what's that other word, complete shit?
>>
>>9688665
i don't feel "threatened" by it, I just think theil is full of shit...he says college is overrated and poor trumpian types shouldnt waste their money on such a foolish thing...well, ask him how many people without degrees he hires at his company? cuz from what i've heard palantir prefers to hire only from stanford, and other top five schools. moreover, he goes on about all kinds of "free market" libertarian bullshit, yet the only client keeping his shitty business afloat is the federal government. every thing the dude says is a load of shit. i respect him as a machiavellian operator who knows how to play plebs like you, but his book sucks.
>>
>>9696933
It's good; people are nicer if a little low-rent.

More black people than I'm used to.

Yeah, the people of California are terrible. I'm not sure what keeps them chugging other than trifling consumerist pleasures and a sense of obligation.
>>
>>9697618
>what keeps them chugging
i told my sad co-worker (born and bred californian) that i was moving, and then that—since his life was defined by financial burdens—he could move too. he looked taken aback, as though he never considered that he could leave california and strike it out elsewhere.

since then, he was making more and more jokes about moving: the kind that border uncomfortably on truth. there's something in the water (or kool-aid) here

speaking of, 3am waffle house is an obligatory experience if you're new. though, depending on your area, it might be run and overrun by darkies.
>>
>>9696500
They seem to have groups for workshopping manuscripts and various other events I rarely attend. I'm mostly just worried that I'll go and get sucked into a circlejerk.
>>
>Lubbock, Texas
>nothing but flat landscape and dust storms that blow in from the cotton farmers fucking up the soil

Nothing here unless you like to have a church on literally every street corner
>>
>Christchurch, New Zealand
Half the city was demolished by an earthquake lmao
>>
lots of brown people, so not at all
>>
>>9697703
Californians do have a mental block vis-a-vis their state and if to try to leave everyone in the new state is fucking astounded and disgusted with you.
>you left California for this shithole?
You're romantic dreams about California are totally Hollywood constructed. You'll never be able to afford land, much less a house, the people are all damaged, the traffic is horrendous, and if you EVER want to be alone in nature you have to drive to the sierras on a workday.
>>
>>9685451
Sleepy costal town where a nationally-known writer wrote about his experiences working in the local loony bin and fighting against the English in WW2 as a medical officer.

Currently it hosts a mid-level literary prize, but most of the population isn't particularly literate or passionate about that writer, beyond town pride.
>>
>>9685451
>Saints-Petersburg
the most /lit/ city in Russia, I guess
>>
>>9698246
Racist much?

F*ck off back to >>>/pol/ you autistic looser. People of color deserve your respect.
>>
>>9685473
So lots of browns and niggers abound
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 1334x750px
>>9698461
funny that you mention nature—i didn't realize that yosemite was so close by, so i took the wife and kid there earlier this week. i watched that ken burns doc. on the national parks and decided to skip the meme valley and go straight to john muir's favorite place: hetch hetchy valley.

as we drive in, all the trees are bare, black and silver; only later did we learn about the huge wildfire some years ago. the valley itself was nothing spectacular, though this probably had something to do with the giant dam which flooded the valley so as to make it the main water supply for san francisco. to kick it off: a hiker was pushed by a waterfall into the rocks and died instantly, falling into the reservoir and tainting it with his decay.

meanwhile, my back yard in TN is lush and solitary, with a few less dead bodies.
>>
File: IMG_3709.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3709.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>9687961
How is it outside of the 'McGill bubble'? I've came across plenty of really bright students and profs through the uni, but lots of american international students like myself have barely explored the city. Certainly tons of fashionable hipsters throughout, but i'm not really sure if concordia/UQAM students are /lit/
Seems like many of the people are first or second gen immigrants who wear shit clothing and smoke way too much weed
>>
>>9698495
It is arguable.
All romantic novels are set in Saint-Petersburg just because it was the capital of Russia during

I would say Moscow, just because how big at is and how many authors it birthed.

t. spb born
>>
>>9686857
Austin. TX here as well. its fairly /lit/, lots of nice coffeeshops to read and goat book stores. having the university being a vibrant center of intelligence is a great plus.

at the same time, its great that it's still in Texas and I can go to the shooting range just 5 minutes away with a gun i conceal carry.

to be /lit/ you have to have experienced hardships, failure, and be aware that what nature gives, it can also take away. a drive a couple hours west of Austin reminds you that nature can be very inhospitable, and for me, that's very humbling. i prefer that feeling to being just a city rat where im the best shit the universe ever produced
>>
>>9691943
>mexican intellectuals
>>
>>9698499
>wah we deserve this
>gib me dats

Pathetic, desu
>>
>>9698461
What kind of fucking projection this is. If you're not buying a house in San Francisco many people can afford it, I don't see how the people are 'damaged' either, they act and think like every other American living in a predominantly liberal state. You are literally trying to generalize a population of 40 million people. And the nature thing is just flat out wrong, I live 40 min from SF and have a state Park across the street from my house. 9/10 times I can spend hours wandering without seeing another person. If you really want to not see anyone, I can just drive out of town and enter the seemingly endless wilderness that surrounds the city and goes on for hundreds of miles. I can even drive 20 min and go to an breathtaking beach that's completely empty, like most of them save for a few popular ones in the summer. Traffic sucks though I'll agree to that
Thread posts: 184
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.