[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Samuel Beckett Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

File: beckett.png (300KB, 335x513px) Image search: [Google]
beckett.png
300KB, 335x513px
I was going to buy pic related (https://www.bookdepository.com/Malloy--Malone-Dies--the-Unnamable-Samuel-Beckett/9780375400704) and was wondering whether it was worth it. Has anyone here read Beckett, and, if so, are these good stories? Any recommendations?
>>
>>9685303
We're all discussing Samuel here >>9683102
>>
>>9685318
Thanks anon. I never check the catalog because I'm a faggot.
>>
>>9685303
Yes, it's worth it, specially that edition (hardback, introduction, the three novels).
>>
>>9685303
dude it's fuckin 5/5
>>
>>9685355
is beckett that good? i hear his prose is neato, but is that all he's got?
>>
>>9685370

>i hear his prose is neato
this should be motivation enough to try any work.
>but is that all he's got?
what? you need a sales pitch on top of it?
>>
>>9685374
prose alone is not worth my time. prose without substance is like a 10/10 body with a 1/10 brain
>>
>>9685370
Yeah he occupies this really interesting post-Joyce space where each novella is a solid piece of flowing prose, where the rules of fiction and how and why we tell stories is put into question. They're highly meta-driven, like how Malone Dies is about the way an author tries to wrest control over his work and characters while also letting them in a place where they're free of him, which is a very neat way to combine commentary about the art of writing and greater existential ideas about our lives. Also Beckett can be pretty funny, the most of which happens in the first novella.
>>
>>9685416
so it's not just the prose then. sounds good.
>>
>>9685406
yea samuel beckett had a 1/10 brain surely
>>
>>9685427
yeah, that's what i said, beckett has a 10 body but a 1 brain.
you're fucking retarded.
>>
>>9685303
My all time favorite book. Yeah, it's worth it. Especially the Everyman volume is very nice as a physical object.
>>
>>9685434
you're the one who can't even decide if he wants to read a book or not
>>
>>9685458
oh i'm going to read it, i'm not OP, i was just curious if there was any substance to his work besides beautiful prose.
no excuse formyou being an absolute retard and trying to exempt yourself by declaring "no u" in a pitiful way.
>>
>>9685406

>prose alone is not worth my time.

like i care what is "worth your time" you posturing idiot.

you want to know if there's more to beckett than prose? pick up the book and actually read him you 10/10 pseud.
>>
>>9685479
>implying asking about properties of novels one is to read is a pointless act
stop getting so assblasted over a simple question.
>>
>>9685470

>no excuse formyou being an absolute retard and trying to exempt yourself by declaring "no u" in a pitiful way.

LOL

fuck this idiot pseud. holy shit.
>>
File: IMG_0051.jpg (2MB, 2824x3639px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0051.jpg
2MB, 2824x3639px
>>9685479
>reddit spacing
>>
>>9685485

>stop getting annoyed that i demand extra sales pitches to critically lauded authors because behind the posturing i don't actually like to read all that much

yeh ok
>>
>>9685496

reddit spacing is a meme

started by newfags

to try and call out other newfags

get rekt cunt
>>
>>9685479
>as if prosefaggotry isn't the ultimate pseud posturing
why do you people have to ruin a Beckett thread?
>>
>>9685500
>demanding
man you're melodramatic. you're so upset that i'd raise a simple question on beckett's writing, launching into a reddit tirade about pseuds and how horrifying it would be for someone to question some author who's critically acclaimed, as if that means a damn thing. what a joke you are. but no, go on with your

hurr

hurr

pseud
>>
>>9685508

no the ultimate pseud posturing is debating whether a book might in fact be worth your time in a /lit/ thread instead of just reading the fucking thing

you

are

a

pseud
>>
>>9685530
see
>>9685531

you like to posture more than read.
>>
>>9685538
don't worry about it, friend. i mean i like a nice troll thread, but at least there's usually a bit of subtlety. no help for the summerfag autists, i suppose.
what did you think of beckett? i've heard only a smidgen of his prose with the opening of Murphy, which was impressive enough to stick in my mind immediately, but it's been a worry of mine that it may just be prose wanking, which i have a taste for in the right mood and preparation, hence the question to begin with, i just like to be prepared for that kind of author.
>>
>>9685558

>i just like to be prepared for that kind of author.

honestly he isn't that taxing of a read. you just need to focus and be in the right mood.

read the molloy trilogy + how it is. if you don't love beckett's work by that point then pass him by.

if you find that you do like beckett look into the work of maurice blanchot as well. i'd rec the station hill reader.
>>
>>9685531
No I'm the guy who made the one post actually talking about the fucking book.
>>
>>9685584

i don't care anymore faggot it's a non-issue.
>>
/lit/ - Literature
>>
>>9685575
now see? how hard was that to be civil?
>>
>>9685627

mate i was dealing with anon who couldn't be fucked simply picking up a book and giving it a go. it gets a tad annoying after a time.
>>
>>9685588
non-issue? you're the one who shat up the thread to appease your arbitrary sperg impulses.
>>
File: 1495578932368.jpg (139KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1495578932368.jpg
139KB, 1600x900px
>>9685651

>you're the one who shat up the thread

lol fuck this shit thread. idiot newfags trying to "reddit space" meme at me. but your incredulity aside i capped off my shitpost time with actual book recs.
>>
>>9685634
i'm the same anon, you fool.
>>
>>9685677
but it's too late because you already made the thread about you, you attention whore LARPer
>>
>>9685682

>haha jokes on you my man i am actually the lackadaisical pleb that you were referring to

okay.
>>
>>9685692
no, i was just showing you that you didn't need to be a prick, i guess you showed me i was wrong all along about you having the capacity for civility.
>>
>>9685688

>you already made the thread about you

i chose to step outside shitposting for a moment and give a genuine response and book recs in earnest. anon refused to step outside of shitposting in kind and say thanks.

i don't care about this thread anymore.
>>
>>9685704
thanks for being a petty reddit prick.
>>
>>9685704
are you not seeing the problem where the quality of the thread should conform to the whimsy of one shitposting anon?
>>
>>9685708

oh no

i am

le reddit???
>>
>>9685709

this thread is full of henpecking tourists spazzing out over le evil reddit spacing and finding any pretense they can to avoid reading books.

i care not for the integrity of this thread.
>>
>>9685725
What an embarassment.
>>
>>9685729

>more empty incredulity

wew.
>>
>>9685733
What an embarassment.
>>
>>9685741

>i don't actually like to read
>>
>>9685754
What an embarassment.
>>
>>9685766

>i don't actually like to read
>>
>>9685778
What an embarassment.
>>
>>9685303
recite it aloud to yourself, you'll never be the same again.

protip: precede it with Murphy follow it up with Watt.
>>
https://www.bookdepository.com/Samuel-Beckett-Trilogy-Molloy-Malone-Dies-Unnamable-Samuel-Beckett/9781857152364
Found a cheaper version of the same edition
>>
File: Grove Selected SB Contents.png (726KB, 564x845px) Image search: [Google]
Grove Selected SB Contents.png
726KB, 564x845px
>>9685303
No op, get this: https://www.bookdepository.com/Selected-Works-of-Samuel-Beckett-Samuel-Beckett/9780802145147

Pic related is everything it contains. Trust me, I spent $30 getting Godot, Endgame, and Murphy separately before I wised up and got his selected works. Its got pretty much everything except Dream of Fair to Middling Women. I'd also recommend the Grove Companion to SB as well, since that explains A LOT!
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.