[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

notes while reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: hacker dogo.jpg (121KB, 960x710px) Image search: [Google]
hacker dogo.jpg
121KB, 960x710px
thoughts on taking notes when reading a book out of your own interest?
should they be physical (could get lost but you get the kinesthetic part of it) or virtual (remain forever)

ps. I'm not too fond of reading but I'm giving it a go with life-advise/technical books
>>
>>9684890
>virtual (remain forever)
Are you retarded?
>>
I generally make short chapter summaries of each chapter (or whatever other form of convenient division between parts there is, like tablets, or books, in classic texts), or occasionally if chapters are really long/short do some other grouping that makes sense to summarize through, and then once I finish reading the work I'll write a couple paragraphs of my interpretation of the text.

I do all of this in one big word document. Writing by hand would possibly be better, but it takes more time and I don't feel the benefits are actually worth it. The main benefit you get by taking notes/writing interpretation in my eyes are that it forces you to sort of "organize" the thoughts you have about whatever you've read, which is useful for forming your analysis of a book, but also helps you remember the book for longer. I also find it helps me find parallels between texts I might otherwise not have noticed, but that's really just a symptom of the other two effects. Writing by hand would probably help with the memory stuff, but not enough for it to actually be worth the extra time in my opinion.

>with life-advise/technical books
My note taking tends to be more so for fiction, or other things which I'm attempting to get a deeper meaning out of. I never bother with it when I'm reading on a purely informational level, at least not these kind of notes. If I'm studying a textbook or something I'm probably going to be taking notes of some kind, just not like this. In the case of practical textbooks with many, and good, problem sets, then generally I'll just practice the problem sets over taking notes, as generally I find that a better use of time.
>>
>>9684925
y r u so mean
i have files from the time i was in highschool, god knows where are my notebook notes from last years semester

that's the difference
>>
>>9684954
Good insight. I think you are right about books that come with problem sets.

> If I'm studying a textbook or something I'm probably going to be taking notes of some kind, just not like this.

What are these other kind of notes you are talking about?
>>
>>9684998
>>What are these other kind of notes you are talking about?
Similar to the kind of notes I'd take in a lecture or something. Short notes in point form that note the important points, etc. in my own phrasing.
>>
>>9684890
I sometimes write out full names and ranks in military books. It's confusing sometimes when the minor character Sargent Miller gets reffranced as Jeff, or when the 121st brigade gets a new major transfered from the 132nd, and they just keep calling the new guy 'the major from the 132nd' and never by name, execpt the one time they don't.

I personally love it when they include a little map in the beginning with all the towns and such. Otherwise I might google a map to get my bearings.
>>
>>9685076
This made me cackle, always happened to me even if there were only like 10 characters lmao
>>9685012
Oh okay that's like just denoting the important stuff and it's different from say, when you have an idea and you want to write it down in a similar fashion to making a post somewhere, where you organize and analyze your ideas. I will mix these two for my notes and I think that will do, also I'll do it digitally because the typing speed is like ten times that of writing on paper, which would simply be too slow for any sort of analysis-style notes. TY
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.