[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stoic Novel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: atlas_and_the_hesperides.jpg (879KB, 2179x2249px) Image search: [Google]
atlas_and_the_hesperides.jpg
879KB, 2179x2249px
Can someone recommend a novel with a stoic protagonist?
Somebody who has to overcome great hardship and transcends his/her former self in the process or somebody who has to accept the way of the world without falling into despair.

Both classics and contemporary
>>
You're starting to make the protag sound like the good guy. As if that wasn't already evident.
>>
File: xd.png (1MB, 1171x827px) Image search: [Google]
xd.png
1MB, 1171x827px
dream of a ridiculous man by my man Dostoyevsky
>>
Smugglers bible
>>
>>9683709

Stay classy
>>
Sounds like anything that follows the hero's journey.
>>
Evangelion, Neon Genesis
>>
>>9683506
The Old Man and The Sea by Hemingway and The Idiot by Dostoyevsky are good illustrations of what the world likes to do to your ideals. TOMaTS especially.
Stoner kind of, but he was more stoic in a sense of one who actually endures his life, not necessarily one who actively identifies as a 'stoic'
Then of course spy thriller novels, historical fiction about wars, westerns, and Batman comics.
The Trial by Kafka just for laffs.
>>
A Man in Full
>>
>>9683506

I think I get it. Yeah, I finally get it now. You're angry. You're angry because you thought the hero would be an idiot, but he's actually just determined. He'll employ practical philosophy as a logical, sound shield against those who would say he wastes his time. He would employ military strategy in his efforts to stunning effectiveness. He would be cast into his struggle, not choosing it, but also aware of its importance. The biggest problem is though, is that he'd be the most dangerous combination of all: stupid, brave, smart enough to survive and ready to die. It'd make him unique. It'd make him difficult to handle, even for the most powerful he would struggle against. I think I've got my stoic screenplay, thanks OP.
>>
>>9683506
Ham on rye (i recommended this on another thread to anon with crippling depression).

Bukowski's prose is stoic, mature and very idiosyncratic, in the sense that you will bond with the protagonist and get to see the world through their eyes.
>>
>>9683506
the fountainhead
>>
>>9684643
Why do you recommend Ham on Rye for a depressed fella?
I don't get it.
PS: I've read the book
>>
File: 1486185247798.jpg (444KB, 800x1158px) Image search: [Google]
1486185247798.jpg
444KB, 800x1158px
Is Severian stoic?
>>
File: mccarthy1.jpg (21KB, 300x485px) Image search: [Google]
mccarthy1.jpg
21KB, 300x485px
>>
>>9685393
no, mary sues can't be stoic.
>>
>>9685393
He's way too horny to be stoic.
>>
>>9683709
I was about to post this.
>>
File: 1490752836643.jpg (571KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1490752836643.jpg
571KB, 1920x1200px
>>9683506
not a book but berserk fits what your parameters if you don't mind reading manga.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.