[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

vietnamese lang.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: canker-sore-on-lip.jpg (49KB, 956x800px) Image search: [Google]
canker-sore-on-lip.jpg
49KB, 956x800px
The Vietnamese word "ớn" is a negative feeling of fullness or having too much of something but there is another meaning to this word and it is an emotion. What is this emotion in English?

As a side note I've asked my Vietnamese born parents and friends about this but they could not come up with an English word. HELP!
>>
>>9681535
ớn is actually a verb, not an adjective.
It's just that the vietnamese verb structure is kinda confusing and many things that work as adjectives in English noun phrases actually need to be verb phrases in Vietnamese

So the verb actually means "to be sick of"
For example:
tôi ớn món xôi rổi
I am getting sick of sticky rice

t. learning Vietnamese
>>
>>9681535
Excess
>>
Engorged
>>
I get the definition of being, "sick of"... I guess in excess of something could be what I'm looking for because in this use I was saying that I was being a good boyfriend to my girlfriend and she replied, "Em ớn anh qúa!" (I've had enough of you!). Thoughts?

P.S. Ha! The imperfect google translate says that this translates to, "I'm too choked!"
>>
>>9681623
Taking a class or using resources for self-study? If the latter, what are you using?
>>
>>9681535
That reminds me, I was just reading about some German word yesterday for which there's apparently no exact English equivalent. But now I can't remember what the word was.

Oh, yes, found it. "Gaudi": "the rough and beery, jocular South German virility summed up in the untranslatable Bavarian-German word 'Gaudi.'"
>>
>>9681842
self-study

I'm using a combination
One of my close friends is Vietnamese, so she helps me with it. I also use Duolingo.
In terms of books I use:
Tuttle Compact Vietnamese Dictionary (this is a great English-Viet, Viet-English dictionary)
Teach Yourself Vietnamese by Dana Healy
And then a couple of different linguistic books and articles I can get my hands on

Vietnamese grammar is stupidly easy. Assuming you're like me and have no connection to Vietnam, the only hard thing to learn is the pronunciation, but once you have that, the rest is a walk in the park.
>>
>>9681535
surfeiting?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.