[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Iris Murdoch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: murdoch.png (104KB, 426x525px) Image search: [Google]
murdoch.png
104KB, 426x525px
I haven't seen lots of threads or discussions about her works. I feel like she is somewhat underrated.
What's your opinion on her?
>>
>>9680257
>no replies in this thread
Is /lit/ only about meming now?
I only read The Sea, the Sea, The Bell, The Unicorn and Henry and Cato. I agree with you, she is very underrated.
>>
>>9680257
One of the best writers of 20th century. It's rare to see someone with possiblity to create almost alive characters. Subtle metaphors are her strong point too.
I wish /lit/ would not disregard bc of her gender.
>>
>>9680298
this
I think her biography overshadowed her amazing novels. Her husband milked her "tragic death" too muc.
>>
Have only read A Severed Head, but I enjoyed it.
>>
>>9680257
my opinion is that she was a low-talent hack who only fooled the british into celebrating her b/c she included deliberately weird phenomena to confuse the stupid. she may have venus fly-trapped wittgenstein with her rank snatch, but she wished that she achieved a tenth of the greatness of her friend (and my philoso-fu), GEM Anscombe.

murdoch took the "C.S. Lewis Route": get BTFO by anscombe when you try to write big-girl philosophy, then spend the rest of your life writing allegorical fiction for children (and those arrested at that age)—but at least lewis' work was likeable.

>>9680298
>almost alive characters
Mary Sues and other vague literary archetypes are all I've seen from her. everything halfway interesting in her books was done better by Dostoyevsky in a paragraph.

>subtle metaphors
BAHAHAHA you mean like the giant flying saucer in "The Nice and the Good?" or even the title: "The Nice and the Good." oh my god, what if society was like a net, catching all the free swimming fish? or what if our lies tangled us up like a net? the net is like la condition humaine! such subtlety!
>>
some of her political books troll me, but the sea the sea gets mentioned a lot here. or it used. i guess it's the more obvious choice for the SWTGs board
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.