[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do I start with DFW?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: C4UhOBxVMAAY9q3.jpg (25KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
C4UhOBxVMAAY9q3.jpg
25KB, 640x480px
Where do I start with DFW?
>>
I started with Consider the Lobster, highly recommended.
>>
>>9680220
Start with his first, like you would any author
>>
A few of his short stories like incantations of dead children, good old neon, whatever that swimming pool one is called and then jump into IJ.
>>
>>9680220
>Where do I start with DFW?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1hSP9UWV7M
>>
>>9680220
Consider the Lobster. I've never read a collection of essays as eclectic, well written, fun, and culturally significant. Move on to A Supposedly Fun Thing... And then Both Flesh or Not. If at all, tackle IJ after The Pale King.
>>
>>9680220
The Greeks
>>
>>9680220
Read essays, then stop.
If you read Infinite Jest you will regret it.
Wasted time.
>>
File: IMG_0824.jpg (178KB, 1112x1105px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0824.jpg
178KB, 1112x1105px
Start with the greeks
>>
OPTIMAL STRAT:

300 pages of IJ. you'l be confused but that's fine everybody is. Then you fly through the Pale King and get used to his prose. Then you finish IJ a lot more quickly. Then his essays and short stories. Ive yet to read Broom of the System but people say it's a nice first effort but nothing compared to his later works
>>
>>9680220
slim shady lp
>>
>>9680220
I'm gonna be honest, the first DFW book I ever read was Infinite Jest. I actually hadn't heard of it before, I just saw it on a library shelf and wanted a thicc book to read. I had no idea of his reputation or his fan base. Same thing happened to me with Death Grips, actually
>>
>>9680272
This is the only answer. I don't know why people ask this question.
>>
just read Good Old Neon, then IJ, and Pale King if you really like IJ. DFW is a very simple author
>>
>>9680758
could you elaborate on why is it a waste, please?
>>
>be me, after two years of being a NEET, finally working as an accountant
>ages since last time I had sex
>talking to a 7/10 at local bar
>take her to my place for 'last drink'
>trying to hide the fact that I'm pretty stressed
>talking about bad decisions we've made over a glass of bourbon
>"I don't regret studying literature. But, then again, I'll never be able to rent a nice appartment like this one." she says
>I grin
>after third drink start making out
>get to bed, strip down
>she climbs on top of me, starts moving her hips
>suddenly she stops moaning, grins
>starts laughing really loud
>i follow her eyes
>my three copies of Infinite Jest are still on the nightstand
>"Oh I do remember you, you're the Infinte Jest guy!"
>>
>>9682173
Because he's full of shit and never actually read it.
>>
>>9682762
Best pasta in a while.
>>
>>9681652
came here to post this, minus pk
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.