[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Short horror story anthologies/collections

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

File: file.png (1MB, 1044x800px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1044x800px
Short horror story anthologies/collections...

Read any good ones? I have read a few at this point of varying quality. For some reason, editors insist on putting at least a few shit stores among the good.

So, if you know of any high quality collections, please share.

Note: There were only two books in pic related's series. 2014/2015. Both had very interesting stories but the publisher pulled the plug.
>>
File: IMG_1536.jpg (136KB, 811x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1536.jpg
136KB, 811x1000px
Halfway through this. A lot of the stories aren't really horror though. Many are just "weird" in the literal sense of the term, not in the cosmic horror way Lovecraft used.
>>
File: IMG_1537.jpg (22KB, 214x320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1537.jpg
22KB, 214x320px
Ellen Datlow's Best Horror of the Year series is also really good.
>>
>>9679619
I don't think there should be a compulsion for weird fiction to follow after Lovecraft's cosmic nihilism.

Lovecraft after all modeled his stories - their structure and atmosphere - off of Arthur Machen and Algernon Blackwood etc., which had a more esoteric, 'bewitching nature' basis. And honestly I prefer both of them to Lovecraft, and I love him, but a weird reality is much more compelling from an esoteric, 'Picnic at Hanging Rock'-type point-of-view than a nihilistic one.
>>
File: file.png (274KB, 307x475px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
274KB, 307x475px
>>9679630
OP here.. About halfway through that one and quite disappointed. Feels like wading through a lot of shit to find the odd gem. Hopefully I will find more stories that connect with me.

Best story so far was Between the Pilings by Steve Rasni

I stopped reading it and picked up pic related, and I am about halfway through that too. The stories are good but not quite spooking me the way I hoped.

Here is a good short story reading if you guys are in the mood:

The Town Manager - Thomas Ligotti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKl_kNXc7Vs
>>
A little off topic, but I finally dipped into Laird Barron after seeing his name bandied about for awhile.

It's top-tier stuff, and some of his best stories are online in authorized free versions.

Check out, in particular, Old Virginia and Frontier Death Song from this list:

http://www.freesfonline.de/authors/Laird_Barron.html
>>
Barker's "Books Of Blood" should be a given.
>>
>>9680234

PS: That website I linked to, if you go to the horror authors, the collection for each author is like a virtual short story collection.

E.g.:

Joe Lansdale:
>http://www.freesfonline.de/authors/Joe%20R._Lansdale.html
(Night They Missed the Horror Show is a must-read, folks)
>>
File: double entendre.jpg (113KB, 769x1200px)
double entendre.jpg
113KB, 769x1200px
>>9678890
>>
>>9678890
David Drake, Night and Demons.

This is a very good, solid collection. I particularly enjoyed the stories set in Vietnam.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.