[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just starting Crime and Punishment What am I in for? I haven't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Crimeandpunishmentcover.png (167KB, 255x391px) Image search: [Google]
Crimeandpunishmentcover.png
167KB, 255x391px
Just starting Crime and Punishment

What am I in for? I haven't read Dostoyevsky before
>>
A good book
shut up and read faggot
>>
>>9677648
A wonderful book. One of his best. But personally Brothers K will always be my favorite. It may be because I started with that one. Honestly, the main character in Crime and Punishment is basically lit distilled. While some parts are cheesy it is an amazing read. My brother just started this for his AP class.
>>
>>9677648
If you have a guilty mind (weak willed) it will resonate.
>>
>>9677719
Kek make way for the ubermensch
>>
>>9677725
Take notes bottom kek.
>>
>>9677648
still my favourite book
Have you read any other russian literature, anon? if you haven't, then it might be a bit hard to read. It isn't quite as "floral" in style like western european literature. It can seem quite boring and long-winded at times.
If you haven't already, I suggest learning a bit about Dostoyevsky's life, it helps put a lot of his writing into context in relation to his life experiences
>>
>>9677719
If you're not autistic it will resonate.
>>
>>9677813
That'll pig, that'll do.
>>
>>9677648
great book. super suspenseful.
>>
>>9677648
On style: it will likely be grittier and drier compared to western literature, as Dostoyevsky rarely put the care that say, Nabakov, would into his prose (Excepting of course his dialogue, which tended to be carefully constructed). The use of certain words (doors and thresholds in particular) are important however. The artless style fits the atmosphere well, and certain points feel like a Kafka novel in their dankness.

On structure: several of Dostoyevsky's most famous techniques come into play here. This is his first novel to display his characteristic polyphony, as the work was originally several small stories written for a publishing deadline that he became enamored with and compiled into a single volume. Because of this, there are a lot of characters and a lot of moving parts in the plot, so you need to keep track of them. Stream of consciousness writing pops up a few times as well, and Dostoyevsky's favorite organizational strategy of doubling is on full force. Each scene is basically repeated twice and the characters come in natural pairs, which create interesting implications

On themes: Raskolnikov's theory reads like something out of Nietzsche (Nietzsche obsessively read the first translations of Dostoyevsky he could find) and plays out in multiple levels, not just between Raskolnikov and the old woman. Raskolnikovms relations with women are also worth noting; critics have noted that this work is very female-heavy, compared to the male-oriented world of the Brothers Karamazov, and it makes for interesting readings (for example, Raskolnikov seems to feel the need to protect both his sister and his platonic girlfriend from Svidrigailov's overtures)
>>
QUASI SPOILER OP

was his girl fucking other dudes towards the end?
>>
>>9677838
>not using the spoiler feature
really coaxed my cognition

No, I don't believe he was. It seems to me that she stopped working as a whore once he came into her life.
>>
>>9677719
After you murder an old woman and use her money to become a Napoleon-tier historical figure mention me in your speech bro I never doubted you for a second fuck the haters my dude
>>
>>9677919
I'd never admit I frequented this asylum, so no I won't mention plus go deeper.
>>
>>9677648
Prepare for long interior monologues regarding rationalising and irrationalising one's actions and whether they are truly ethical or not. I personally loved the book, OP, and one of my favourite aspects of Dostoevsky's work is his use of the character's inner thoughts at conflict with himself.
>>
>>9677838
No, the book is inherently about redemption. Raskolnikov is redeemed by doing his time in prison and she is redeemed by not getting the D/helping other prisoners become better examples of themselves.
>>
>>9678683
I don't understand how he was redeemed he still kills the old woman and she still has ridden the cock carousel so how are they redeemed exactly ?
>>
the biggest upset in human philosophy ever
>>
>>9678706
You can commit crimes and still redeem yourself. That's the point of redemption. It wouldn't be redemption if you were a perfect clean slate, anon. You need a sin or a crime to redeem yourself from. Raskolnikov is redeemed by doing his time in prison and finding God whereas she is redeemed by moving on from prostitution and by helping her partner's fellow prisoners to become better and more educated.

Dostoevsky believed that sins could be atoned for and a person could be redeemed if they found Christianity and if the suffered for God.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.