[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I attempted to read this book and quite honestly found it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: shit.jpg (35KB, 231x346px) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
35KB, 231x346px
So I attempted to read this book and quite honestly found it frustrating. What exactly is supposed to be so great about this? It's literally like insane rambling, after several chapters I have no fucking idea what just happened, who was being referred to, or what most of the words meant

Is this what the so called beats style is? Word vomit?
>>
yeah that's pretty much it
>>
>>9676587
You'd have to read the other writers of the time to see why it was important. He paved the way for obscene writing.
>>
>>9676587
there isn't an over-arching plot, it's a series of scenes. He also used a lot of cut-up collage techniques.

Take in the mood, feel disgust at the modern world. If you don't know a word, look it up silly!

Consider this interpretation of Burroughs from Lemurian Time War, an essay in the CCRU archive

>In the hyperstitional model Kaye outlined, fiction is not opposed to the real. Rather, reality is understood to be composed of fictions – consistent semiotic terrains that condition perceptual, affective and behavioral responses. Kaye considered Burroughs’ work to be ‘exemplary of hyperstitional practice’. Burroughs construed writing – and art in general – not aesthetically, but functionally, – that is to say, magically, with magic defined as the use of signs to produce changes in reality.

>It was then that Burroughs’s writing underwent a radical shift in direction, with the introduction of experimental techniques whose sole purpose was to escape the bonds of the already-written, charting a flight from destiny. Gysin’s role in the discovery of these cut-ups and fold ins is well-known, but Kaye’s story accounts for the special urgency with which Burroughs began deploying these new methods in late 1958. The cut-ups and fold-ins were “innovative time-war tactics”, the function of which was to subvert the foundations of the prerecorded universe. “Cut the Word Lines with scissors or switchblades as preferred ... The Word Lines keep you in time...” (WV 270). Burroughs’s adoption of these techniques was, Kaye told Ccru, “one of the first effects (if one may be permitted to speak in so loose a way) of the time-trauma”.
>>
>>9676587
spongebob.jpg
>>
I actually have this book sitting in front of me and am taking a break on /lit/ before I read the last 30 pages. I feel the same way, OP. There were a number of sections I really enjoyed reading (the rumpus room, the various A.J. exploits, the examination) but I've been ultimately frustrated that as soon as I start to get into anything, it immediately jumps to another completely nonsensical scene. I've pretty much been unable to make any sense of this book one way or the other, and I'll be glad to be done with it and move on to something else
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.