[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Essential Stoic Works

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: aurelius.jpg (86KB, 612x446px) Image search: [Google]
aurelius.jpg
86KB, 612x446px
So I've read Meditations and Letters from a Stoic. Where do I go from here?
>>
>so i've read X where do i go from here?
You don't you re-read that shit 20 times until you can write a thesis about it.
>>
>>9674961
ty anon, will do.
>>
>>9674957
Epictetus should be read.
>>
Jun 23, 2017 — Robert Wright & Massimo Pigliucci
video screenshot

Massimo’s new book, How to Be a Stoic, and Bob’s forthcoming book, Why Buddhism Is True
Similarities between Buddhism and Stoicism
The metaphysics of Stoicism
Is there a Stoic version of the Buddhist “not-self” doctrine?
Massimo’s Stoic advice column
Seneca’s tips for anger management
Achieving an objective awareness of your emotions
Using meditation to cope with feelings of failure

http://meaningoflife.tv/videos/38678?in=00:33
>>
>>9675818
ew.

all this "stoicism as self-help" blabbering is unbelievably nauseating.
>>
>>9675824
>all this "stoicism as self-help" blabbering is unbelievably nauseating.
Why? Roman Stoicism had a very strong self-help component when it was being developed. There's nothing wrong with practical philosophy.
>>
Tao desu
>>
>>9675824
Careful anon, passions are getting the better of you
>>
>>9675857
Fuck off animelord
>>
>>9675841
>roman stoicism had a very strong self-help component
care to share some examples?

>>9675863
nah, senpai

this whole idea, that i've seen incessantly sought after by everyone; from /r9k/-esque types, going through the neet bores that populate every board in this shithole, all the way through the faggy /fit/ "i'm want to better my life in every aspect"-alpha-wannabes, that think that a fucking terrible simplistic book of regurgitated truisms will fix their lives, _is_ nauseating.

stoicism as commonly understood by this shitty place is basically "lol, just fucking keep a straight face and brave it on, bro"

for fuck's sake, the guy was an emperor, not a crusty 24 year old outcast living with his parents, incapable of finding meaning between daydreaming and masturbation.
>>
>>9675919
>for fuck's sake, the guy was an emperor, not a crusty 24 year old outcast living with his parents, incapable of finding meaning between daydreaming and masturbation.

Aurelius was an opium addict and Seneca literaly killed himself when Nero told him to do so. Dio Chrysostom seems cool, though.
>>
>>9675919
>care to share some examples?
Epictetus' quotes contain plenty of advice that was meant to help people manage their emotions and control their lives. Some examples.

Dealing with frustration:

>"It is the act of an ill-instructed man to blame others for his own bad condition; it is the act of one who has begun to be instructed, to lay the blame on himself; and of one whose instruction is completed, neither to blame another, nor himself"

Anger management:

>"If a person gave your body to any stranger he met on his way, you would certainly be angry. And do you feel no shame in handing over your own mind to be confused and mystified by anyone who happens to verbally attack you?"

Surrounding yourself with people who will reinforce your good habits and outlook:

"Till then these sound opinions have taken firm root in you, and you have gained a measure of strength for your security, I counsel you tobe cautious in associating with the uninstructed. Else whatever impressions you receive upon the tablets of your mind in the School will day by day melt and disappear, like wax in the sun.Withdrawthensomewhere far from the sun, while you have these waxen sentiments."

The importance of regular reflection:

>"Give thyself more diligently to reflection: know thyself: take counsel with the Godhead; without God put thine hand into nothing."
>>
>>9676002
Pt. 2

The Meditations, Marcus Aurelius' personal diary is full of reminders to himself to do stuff like get out of bed in the morning and face the day in a productive way:
>At dawn, when you have trouble getting out of bed, tell yourself: 'I have to go to work - as a human being. What do I have to complain of, if I'm going to do what I was born for - the things I was brought into the world to do? Or isthiswhat I was created for? To huddle under the blankets and stay warm?'

>- But it's nicer in here ...

>So you were born to feel 'nice'? Instead of doing things and experiencing them? Don't you see the plants, the birds, the ants and spiders and bees going about their individual tasks, putting the world in order, as best they can? And you're not willing to do your job as a human being? Why aren't you running to do what your nature demands?

>- But we have to sleep sometime ...

>Agreed. But nature set a limit on that - as it did on eating and drinking. And you're over the limit. You've had more than enough of that. But not of working. There you're still below your quota.

>You don't love yourself enough. Or you'd love your nature too, and what it demands of you. People who love what they do wear themselves down doing it, they even forget to wash or eat. Do you have less respect for your own nature than the engraver does for engraving, the dancer for the dance, the miser for money or the social climber for status? When they're really possessed by what they do, they'd rather stop eating and sleeping than give up practicing their arts.

>Is helping others less valuable to you? Not worth your effort?
Obviously the meditations wasn't meant as a self-help book, but the actual practice of reflecting on your habits and emotions was a stoic technique for making yourself into a happier and more effective person, as well as a more moral person.
>>
>>9675919
I don't understand, which books do you mean when you talk about truisms? It seems you take issue with the literature at the same time as simplistic reading of the literature by dummies.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.