[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Constitutional Law

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 817Bh0CTHxL.jpg (497KB, 1400x2172px) Image search: [Google]
817Bh0CTHxL.jpg
497KB, 1400x2172px
What are some good books on the Constitution?
Was hoping for something more modern/relevant but I'll take some "classics" as well.
>>
>(((Mark Levin)))

wooo lad
>>
Start with Joseph Story's Commentaries on the Constitution
>>
The Federalist Papers is still very relevant today.
>>
File: cover.jpg (102KB, 782x1200px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
102KB, 782x1200px
>>9673237

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/110342.The_Debate_on_the_Constitution
>>
>>9673238
>hurr durrr anything Jewish is automatically bad

Fuck off /pol/ this book is good and his take on constitutional law is good even though levin is an insufferable Israel firster kike ..
>>
>>9673237
Check out Aristote, Cicero, Tocqueville and de Maistre.
>>
File: DAabhPxTBsM.jpg (2MB, 1515x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DAabhPxTBsM.jpg
2MB, 1515x1200px
>>
>muuuuhhh constitution
>>
>>9676398
>muuuhh brainlet pseud who thinks himself more intelligent than hamilton or madison
>>
>>9673237
The Ages of American Law by Grant Gilmore is a very good, short book, engaging and incisive. As the title suggests, it's not about the Constitution, strictly speaking. Gilmore was a learned professor at Yale.

Constitutional Law as Fiction by Lewis H. LaRue is a very good little book. LaRue analyzes notable decisions to show how the Court fashions historical narratives that support its conclusions, eg, in the Everson v. Board of Education decision, a leading First Amendment case.

I haven't read any of Levin's books, but I like his legal commentary when I happen to catch it.

I haven't read any of Randy Barnett's books, but based on the articles I have read, and his short pieces for the Volokh Conspiracy (and in particular his commentary on ACA leading up to the big SC ruling on the case), I suspect his two books on constitutional law are good and worth reading:

Restoring the Lost Constitution: The Presumption of Liberty

Our Republican Constitution

This summarizes Barnett's view of the ACA decision, and in particular the all-important Commerce Clause, which has arguably been the most important clause in the Constitution for the past 60 years or so, in that its scope has been widened by the Court so as to give the federal government seemingly unlimited power (although the brakes were thankfully put on in the ACA decision): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghk7mmSR1Jo

>>9673567
The Federalist Papers is indeed still relevant, and well worth reading as it unpacks the meaning and logic of the Constitution in a striking and forceful fashion.
>>
"CONSTITUTIONALISM": THE WHITE MAN'S GHOST DANCE

http://www.spunk.org/texts/writers/black/sp001650.html
>>
Start with John Marshall and work your way forward. Make sure to read every opinion by the Supreme Court, you'll also want to make sure to read any cases they cite to for context. You'll also want to get some Con Law supplements to make sure you fully digest what they are discussing. Good Luck Anon!
>>
Someone needs to write a short book - using the approach and the length of one of the Penguin Lives - about John Marshall, and how his interpretation of the Constitution made him one of the Founding Fathers (although he's not usually included in that group).

He's at least as important as Hamilton, Madison, Adams, Washington -- and arguably, the most influential of them all.

(I wish Paul D. Carrington had written this book.)
>>
File: 9781591847779.jpg (325KB, 795x1200px) Image search: [Google]
9781591847779.jpg
325KB, 795x1200px
>>
The Anti-Federalist Papers and the Constitutional Convention Debates
>>
>>9676398
t. poopland
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.