[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Expensive books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

What's the most expensive book you bought and end up never reading?
me pic related
>>
better sell before the new edition comes out and all mystique for it disappears. first edition collecting is a waste of time.

ask this question on /p/ . photography books regularly run past the $120 mark
>>
>>9672322
Infinite Jest. I bought it years ago and always give up after a few pages. The style is just unbearable.
>>
>>9672322
Fucking read the book or give it to someone who will. It's great. Also, I have a hardco) first edition GR, but I didn't buy it and I've read it twice in paperback, not sure if that counts.
>>
>>9672352
The problem is i've been meaning to read it for ages and never came around to it .
>>
>>9672360
Just dive in, it's worth it.
>>
There's a book of essays that I needed for my undergraduate dissertation that I couldn't find available anyway, so I bought it. It was £45. It's 200 pages, at best and in the end I think I ended up reading 3 of the essays.
>>
File: Capture.png (220KB, 647x359px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
220KB, 647x359px
>>9672322
>first edition collecting is a waste of time.
>>
>>9672364
>anyway
anywhere*
>>
>>9672365
>pointless
Not if it's going to increase on value with time. I have books worth three times as much as I paid for them.
>>
>>9672365

I can list a picture of my arse on ebay for 5000000 if i want, doesnt mean anyone is willing to pay it.
>>
>>9672322

Copy of War and Peace is sitting on my shelf and it was like 6 dollars hardcover from a used bookstore.

I own a lot of nice hardcovers and never pay more than like, 5 dollars for most of them. Sometimes 10. Why do people not just go to used bookstores? Even the most expensive ones I've been to have quality hardcovers in great condition for 15 dollars or less.
>>
>>9672322
how much did you pay?
>>
>>9672404
>>
>>9672365
God fucking dammit! I have that copy of the Hobbit but disposed of the dust jacket because it had a little tear. Every time I see how much it's worth I get incredibly angry.
>>
>>9672397
Okay so?
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/may/30/alice-in-wonderland-first-edition-christies-auction
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-39511786
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-36865074
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/harry-potter-books-valuable-rarest-11792273
>>
>>9672407

Those links reaffirm the bullshit status of the hobbit sleeve posted

the point i was making is dont trust ebay to gauge value, anyone can list anything at any price.
>>
The Legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra.

$200 for Christ's sake
>>
>>9672415
The point you seem to have missed entirely is that, regardless of whether they sell for 55k or just 30k they're still worth having.
>>
I have a dedicated home library but have b&N classics in living room for decoration. Shitty I know but they look gorgeous for the price
>>
$500
>>
File: $_1.jpg (31KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
31KB, 400x300px
Spent $175 on this.
>>
w&m is honestly worth the $150, i've been reading it on and off for about 8 months now. It's fucking massive.
>>
I paid 80 euros for this baby. I will read it soon, though. Loved the first two.
>>
File: IMG_6524.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6524.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>9675075
Forgot pic
>>
>>9673650
oof
>>
I bought an eReader, and now I just pirate all my books. I mainly read classics, so it's not like I'm even screwing the content creator when I pirate their book. Also it's very light, which makes it easier to read in bed.
>>
>>9672365
Is that a lunch box?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.