[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Candide, ou L'optimisme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 82551-004-47847D29.jpg (45KB, 374x450px) Image search: [Google]
82551-004-47847D29.jpg
45KB, 374x450px
I'm really busy recently, and I don't know why but I finally can take a break for the whole day tomorrow.

And I just want to know if it is worth my time to invest my precious free time on Voltaire's works; or to be exact, should I read Candid or should I start somewhere else?
>>
Candide is a nice and easy read, it's short and funny
>>
>>9670938
That's good to hear senpai! Thank you very much. A lot of my friends have been shitting on me lately because I haven't read Voltaire and Austen yet. I understand the outrage on Voltaire because he seem to be a very bright scholar but Austen? I'd rather not.
>>
File: wtf.jpg (12KB, 188x300px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
12KB, 188x300px
>>9670924
if you have a full day or even just an afternoon/evening, get comfy and read candide, voltaire will take you on a wild ride and you will probably have fun
>>
Since I'm here and already asking, is Goethe a good read as well? I mean, he's kinda famous and all so there's that. His reputation runs deep but so does C. S. Lewis.

I'm planning to make a list of people I should read and just drown in my own sorrow while reading good books so I wouldn't be thinking about my nihilistic views for once.
>>
>>9670924
I enjoyed it, but it's basically 18th century shitposting. The ending is nice in the sense that it helps ease anxiousness about life, and teaches you to just slow down and enjoy life. But don't go into it expecting a display of major philosophical brilliance.

>>9671045
Stop being an atheist.
>>
>>9671475
>18th century shitposting

PERFECT! Definitely going to start now!
>>
>>9670924
He's enjoyable to read even if you find yourself disagreeing with him. Very witty.
>>
>>9671490
Candide is very comfy - you'll learn a lot about the controversies of early Enlightenment philosophy if you follow through any of the jokes you don't initially understand.
>>
File: 898154428-IMG1630.jpg (422KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
898154428-IMG1630.jpg
422KB, 640x640px
Its pretty much

wE liVe In THe bEsT oF aLl pOsSiBle WoRLdS

For 90 pages
>>
>>9673564
I love you
>>
>>9670924
It's a giant fuck you to one of his contemporaries Leibniz. I loved it.
>>
>9671490
kek

also voltaire was swag af
>>
Candide is good, but I think it misunderstood Leibniz's position, especially since Christian Leibniz took into account the Fall in Genesis 3, accounting for the miseries of existence.
My favorite Voltaire works are Zadig and Micromegas, which is very short. Entertaining, witty, absolutely steeped in the naive but still admirable faith in Reason.
>>
>>9673564
this
>>
>>9670924
It's around 100 pages. You should read it in a day and decide for yourself.
>>
Diderot's Jacques le fataliste et son maƮtre is better. Read that instead.
>>
>>9674367
I agree.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.