[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books that elicited a sincere emotional response. All of part

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

Books that elicited a sincere emotional response. All of part three for me, cried a good bit.
>>
>>9668455
Kidnapped by stevenson.
>>
File: 1402870.jpg (39KB, 257x380px) Image search: [Google]
1402870.jpg
39KB, 257x380px
There's a few chapters that hit me a lot harder than I expected.
>>
>>9668455
>>9668477
I find it funny how these are the types of books that people who haven't read them/couldn't get through them would slam for being artificial, gimmicky, insincere, overly difficult and show-offy, but they're the first books in a thread on a Guyanese sock-knitting club asking about books that elicited a sincere emotional response in the reader.

As for my contribution, Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep, "Farewell, My Lovely", The Little Sister, and The Long Goodbye (ESPECIALLY The Long Goodbye ... ending fucking stupefied and floored me)

Still never cried over a book lol, just got really emotional inwardly
>>
>>9668507
Also The High Window and Playback ... hell, even The Lady in the Lake (arguably) his worst. So ultimately, all seven of his novels.
>>
>>9668455
Yup same as me. When he's at the grave with his son. I love how the friendship grows and blossoms.
>>
>>9668507
I really couldn't see how M&D could fit into any of those labels (not to say you're applying them to the work anyway.) M&D was really very grounded in its development of the title characters and their relationship.
>>
>>9668516
That is the exact part I had in mind, had to read the last few pages through tears.
>>
>>9668521
Lmao same. Jesus Christ all I can hope for is 1 friend to grow old and die with. Please god give me 1.
>>
>>9668527
Felt the same way, wish I had someone like Dixon. Their endless ball-busting and moments of intimacy were really beautiful. Man, friendship must be fuckin' sick.
>>
>>9668455
I'm on chapter 2 of Portrait of the Artist and this book is giving me strange melancholy feels that I don't enjoy at all.

And yeah M&D dragged me into a month of depression.
>>
>>9668545
Why depression, Anon? Mason found rest in the end. Or I felt he did, more hoped probably.
>>
>>9668507
It's almost as if those writers that are so good it seems to plebs like they're showing off are so genuinely talented that they can make a reader cry when it's necessary, but don't rely on that one tactic to make their novel worth reading. Also, most of those people never actually read the books before commenting.
>>
>>9668555
Well for a few reasons. Most significantly because I don't have a single friend and I was so envious (maybe that's not the right word) of their relationship. Viewing their adventures contrasted against my boring, lonely, pointless existence really brought me down. Not to mention their drifting apart before their deaths. The last few lines when Mason's children are talking about all the amazing things in America that their father told them about devastated me and I can't pinpoint why.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.