[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this book any good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 23522.jpg (66KB, 312x475px) Image search: [Google]
23522.jpg
66KB, 312x475px
I've been interested in mythology in my youth and want to get back into it. Is this book a good comprehension to get started again?
>>
anybody knows what would be the german equivalent?
>>
>>9666691
No reason for you not to be reading books in English.
>>
>>9666691
as a native german speaker ive had no problems with this book
>>
Is there any point in reading this if I already read most of the mythology sources I. E. Homeric hymns, Hesiod among other stuff?
>>
>>9666592
No. The Library of Greek Mythology by Apollodorus / Wikipedia summaries. Edith gets sidetracked very often and explains the stories too extensively when it could be explained in far less words
>>
>>9666991
The sidetracks are brilliant though. She's fucking hilarious. This is a good overview to help with finding your bearings. Also it's fucking short as shit, so just read it anyway.
>>
>>9666982
No, not really. It's mostly a reference guide for if you need to go back and quickly refresh yourself on something particular. Good book though, but I still prefer to just read the primary sources.
>>
>>9666982
At the start of each story theres usually a few paragraphs discussing which sources she takes from and how their time period and individual culture may have impacted the stories so that might be a new perspective for you.
But if you've already read the source material there isn't much you're going to gain from it.
>>
>>9666592
It's decent if you don't plan on reading Homer and the others. If you are, it's pointless because it's just a summary of those works.
>>
>>9667244
also keep in mind it's only retelling the stories and doesn't tell you what mythology is and how it works.
>>
>>9666691
Gustav Schwab is top tier

Karl Kerényi would be another option
>>
well, i ordered this book (in portuguese) to read along with Iliad. My intention was to grasp better the context of the characters, mainly.
>>
>>9667244
>>9667249
What is a better one then?
>>
>>9667362
Well I mean, what are you looking to get out of it? If you just want to be familiar with the stories of Greek mythology Hamilton is fine, but if you want it to be less of a summary then you could just go straight into Homer, Hesiod, Virgil, Ovid, etc. You'd have to go into the academic side though if you want to delve into what the stories mean, what they say about the society that tells them, why we tell stories in the first place. Joseph Campbell is pretty much the universal and accessible starting point to this, even if he's not quite definitive.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.