[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommendations for historical fiction with well developed characters?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

Looking for some engaging historical fiction, just finished reading pic related and want something completely different. I'd be down for some hints of fantasy but I want to focus on some good characters.
>>
Accursed Kings. Nothing still compares to this very day.
>>
>>9666120
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Search_of_Lost_Time
>>
The White Company and Ser Nigel by Arthur Conan Doyle.
The Brother Cadfael mysteries by Ellis Peters.
The Alchemists Apprentice,the Alchemists Pursuit, and the Alchemists Code by Dave Duncan.
The Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell.
The Hangman's Daughter series by Oliver Potzsch.
The Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee by Robert Van Gulik.

Enough to start with?
>>
>>9666120
Georges Bataille's Blue Of Noon.
>>
>>9666120
Didya like the book?
>>
MASON
&
D
I
X
O
N
>>
>>9667228
Here, OP. This is the only right answer
>>
>>9667228
Read this OP.
>>
augustus by john williams
>>
>>9666179
>Accursed Kings
For as revered as this work is, how come it gets so little print here?

Wasn't it pretty far down on the 100 list?
>>
File: the first man in rome.jpg (44KB, 250x378px) Image search: [Google]
the first man in rome.jpg
44KB, 250x378px
>>9666120
I can't say this book is anywhere near perfect, the prose isn't gonna knock your socks off.

but it's enjoyable and the amount of prominent historical figure, and lesser known ones, is impressive.

I know near nil of the Ancient Roman Empire but I have a feeling that McCullough diverges from fact quite a bit.

anyone else have thoughts on the series, i read this one a few years back and would like to continue but I don't feel compelled.
>>
>>9667305
>>9666179
>>9666120 (OP)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Search_of_Lost_Time

Shit, my bad, I meant to respond to the Proust post.
>>
>>9666120

Anything by Gore Vidal is great. Lincoln is his most popular one.
>>
>>9667463
The only thing I've read of Vidal was his essay on Timothy Mcveigh that ran in Vanity Fair. It was very intriguing and I mean to read something else if his one day.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.