[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

V., does it change?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: images(11).jpg (7KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
images(11).jpg
7KB, 183x275px
I'm about 210 pages in and I think I'm done with it. Not because it's a little difficult to follow, I appreciate that, and consider it the best quality. I don't really like the "zany" storyline and situations, and I thought the prose would be better. Reminds me of a better written, disjointed Vonnegut. Just not something I enjoy. Are Pynchons other works much different?
>>
>I don't really like the "zany" storyline and situations

Pinecone is not for you, bro
>>
>Not liking Pynchon's zaniness
Some of the most memorable parts of his novels are the situations that could be in a broad comedy movie.
>>
V. is his most accessible and "normal" novel, and my personal favorite desu. After that it starts getting more experimental and pretentious
>>
>>9664419
How can you read the chapter hunting the alligator in the sewers of NYC, or Stencil's time in Sudwestafrika and not fucking love this book?

Up thine with turpentine, anon
>>
>>9664419
Do you mean to tell me you didn't like the rhinoplasty chapter?
>>
Almost finished this but I did not love it like I thought I wouldm A shame.
>>
>>9665387
>>9665355
Honestly no. That's probably a good indicator it's not for me.
>>
>>9664995
Crying and any of his post 2000s novels are much more accessible than V. V. is pretty difficult to digest.
>>
I got half way through the book before stopping. It was at that point that I realised that all the mental juggling I was doing to keep everything in order and trying to follow the clues leading towards V. wouldn't resolve and would be exactly the same for the other half of the novel. I looked up a synopsis and read a few essays on it. Glad I saved myself the time.
I quite enjoyed The Crying of Lot 39 and people always recommended this as your second Pynchon novel so I was very dissapointed in the novel.

>>9664447
>Not liking Pynchon's zaniness
Not really. Call me old fashioned but I've never liked the humor of any other po-mo writer either.
>>
>>9667430
postmodernism is shit and will not even be remembered in 150 years
>>
>>9665499
Care to rank the difficulty of his books? I'm planning to read AtD with hopes that I won't need a strategy guide to beat it.
>>
>>9664419
I love Pynch, but I don't like V. that much. The prose is much more pedestrian compared to his later stuff, and it's just not as enjoyable for that reason.
>>
>>9667574

bleeding edge was the easiest that ive read by far. also accessible since chances are that youve lived in the 2000s and thus will remember the references
>>
>>9667613
Personally thought M&D the most accessible discounting the latter two, which I have not read.
>>
Just finish it op. If you don't like it in the end just stop reading pynchon.
>>
>>9664419
Give Crying of Lot 49 a go. Super short.
>>
I can't get it trough me that someone wouldn't find interesting V.
It is fucking wild ride every single chapter. Stencil getting shot in the butt by Benedict, Father Fairing, the whole subespionage that's going on, Pig Bodine, c'mon dude, if you don't enjoy that what do you enjoy?
>>
>>9664419
conpletrly agree. his sense of humor is wes-anderson-tier eddit
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.