[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reading speed and comprehension

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: 1493553670094.png (14KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1493553670094.png
14KB, 657x527px
Hey /lit/ i need your help.
So as far back as i can remember i have had trouble reading, and no I don't mean in the literally retarded sense.
what I mean is that when I'm reading a book, any book, I somehow just cant process the words that I'm reading. It is pretty much in one ear out the other.
Not to mention that I'm slow as shit reading, i have several novels that I'm trying to read but for some reason I cant read fast or understand just what the fuck I'm reading.
please help me, i don't want to be like this anymore.
>>
>>9662787
Reading and comprehension are skills , which with time grow. If you're suffering adhd or something then get meds , otherwise stick and consciously make yourself read and comprehend every word and the greater theme.

Also making notes help , so make notes , whatever you can understand write it down in your own words . Actual hand written notes btw . Computer stuff doesn't work.
>>
that is the literal retarded sense...
>>
File: 1497995953700.png (29KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1497995953700.png
29KB, 400x400px
>>9662818
I do have trouble focusing but i cant get meds because reasons.
I will take your recommendation to take notes and try to piece together the theme

>>9662829
pic related
>>
>>9662787
Have you tried any speed reading apps? Those helped a lot for me.
>>
>>9662873
I looked up stuff on googel and yutewb but it didnt give me shit in terms of usable information
>>
>>9662891
Reading Trainer by Heku It is really good. It's on all mobile platforms. You should try that.
>>
File: Mort.jpg (72KB, 520x385px) Image search: [Google]
Mort.jpg
72KB, 520x385px
>>9662787
>It is pretty much in one ear out the other.
It's because you're "passively" reading.
Read " How to Read" by Mortimer J. Adler. Take your time and think when you read it.
>Reading speed
Like the other anon said, it takes time since reading is a skill. The more you read, the better.
>>
You don't need effort to allow for yourself to be taken by what the writer is telling you. It will make you forcibly focus on the words, the letters, the shape of the text, the physical world around you and the worries in which they coincide. You need a comfortable place, mentally and physically, with little stimulation other than where you put your mind, and there solely. Some take their book there, some the newspaper, their facebook feed, their mirror. Observe the meaning as you allow it to be told, don't obsess over the message in which it is packaged.
I personally can be helped to remain in that place with coffee, it can also be tea, or water, depending on who you are and what facilitates your comfort.
>>
>>9662856
You could try reading short stories first:

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/src.aspx

http://www.coldbacon.com/writing/borges-garden.html
>>
>>9662891
>>9662904
You should try these. Also, meditation can help you with your focus problems.
>>
File: SONG TO SONG (28).jpg (866KB, 1920x808px) Image search: [Google]
SONG TO SONG (28).jpg
866KB, 1920x808px
For me, my comprehension depends more of the quality of the writing than of the reading speed.

Reading speed can be crazy or slow as fuck but if the text is fubar then its fubar
>>
>>9663411
I saw the trailer for this film for the first time on /tv/ two days ago, I hadn't known of it before that. It looked really unique and I was excited to watch it. Then yesterday I googled it and realized it came out back in February, and totally flopped both with audiences and critics. I was saddened to see that, it looked genuinely interesting. Guess Malick really has lost his touch.
>>
File: SONG TO SONG (14).jpg (703KB, 1920x808px) Image search: [Google]
SONG TO SONG (14).jpg
703KB, 1920x808px
>>9663461
>Malick lost his touch.
No. He is just too much for the lowest common denominator. It was a good film. My favorites are TTW & KOC from him, great director.
>>
>>9663466
>lowest common denominator
That doesn't explain why it did equally poorly with critics.
>>
>>9663747
Yeah and Marvel shit does exceptionally well consistently with critics.
>>
>>9662787
Reading speed will come with time. I too used to be a very slow reader: the only thing that solved the problem was simply reading more.
I understand that it's easier said than done, but if you can manage to knock off 10 books (not too long, 200-300 pages is enough) in a row, without ever skipping a day of reading, your will definitely see a noticeable improvement.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.