[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

“Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare currunt. (They change

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 3341504.jpg (17KB, 134x266px) Image search: [Google]
3341504.jpg
17KB, 134x266px
“Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare currunt.
(They change their sky, not their soul, who rush across the sea.)”

I am not sure I am getting it right. Is Horace trying to say that people attempting to do great things adapt their mood/actions without changing their spirit?

Also, favourite latin quotes threat.
>>
Thats one interpretation, can you think of any others?
>>
>>9662537
diarium mea, vere
>>
>>9662620

Wtf is this
>>
>>9662645
An invitation to stop being white trash poorly aping anglos who think they're roman
>>
>>9662652

Sounds like my diary, truly
>>
I always liked this Augustine quote:

adhuc enim modicum lumen est in hominibus; ambulent, ambulent, ne tenebrae conprehendant
>>
>>9662537

He's saying it doesn't matter where you travel, you're still going to be the same person.

To put it more broadly, you can never change who you are.
>>
>>9663126
Well that interpretation sounds like it's gone too far imo. Nowhere does he really say that you can't change your soul/yourself at all, he only says that travel/surrounding can't change it.
>>
>>9662537
there are other nuances you could get from keeping in mind Caelus could be translated as (primary male deity of the sky and creation)/Jupiter/heaven/Olympus.

quite fond of Lucretius' description of how love works like getting stabbed, myself. can't check the exact quote rn.
>>
>>9663242

It depends on how broadly you want to read the poem.

>>9663267

It's caelum, not "Caelus", and it clearly means sky here, nothing more. The poem is about sailing to distant lands.

>quite fond of Lucretius' description of how love works like getting stabbed

inritata tument loca semine fitque voluntas
eicere id quo se contendit dira lubido,
idque petit corpus, mens unde est saucia amore;
namque omnes plerumque cadunt in vulnus et illam
emicat in partem sanguis, unde icimur ictu,
et si comminus est, hostem ruber occupat umor.

I honestly always thought this was one of Lucretius' most awkward metaphors. He's comparing lust for a woman (or boy) with the blood of a wound gushing out and hitting the wounder. The mind (and semen) of the lover is likened to blood spurting out of the "wound" done by the object of lust.
>>
>>9663419
>caelum, not "Caelus"
the neuter is the divine also, you idiot.
>latin poetry is just about its direct translation
jesus fucking christ you've missed out so much of ovid, lucretius and pretty fucking much everything if you cannot cope with double meanings.

>one of Lucretius' most awkward metaphors
lel you're so fucking pseud, even if you were fluent in both Greek and Latin enough to understand the words and allusions in Lucretius, you'd be a pseud when it comes to aesthetics.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.