[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are his works nihilistic? If not... how do you define him?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2640.jpg (829KB, 2598x3907px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2640.jpg
829KB, 2598x3907px
Are his works nihilistic?
If not... how do you define him?
>>
>>9662016
some kind of chipper sailor with a gap in his tooth
>>
>>9662016
No, his works are yukyukistic.
>>
>>9662016
Yes, extremely, although I think categorizing him as nihilistic is too simple. Essentially his argument in GR was that the world was run by guys who don't give a shit about anything other than business and everything we thought we knew about history and WW2 was complete bullshit. Not to mention the recurring metaphor in his work of everything being changing shit, as in literal transforming fecal matter.
>>
>>9662992
oh, and to add, this vision of the world, that everything is controlled by this cabal of rich men, is preferable and necessary to believe in rather than the reality of the world actually being completely and ridiculously incomprehensible.
>>
So there's no hope?
>>
>>9663088
If you are a manlet and have shit genes then you have no hope of finding a gf, yes.
>>
>>9663097
I meant in his works- specifically GR
>>
>>9662992
>>9662996
So he knows about the Jew?
>>
>>9663088
Yes, there's friendship and love.

>>9663152
It's capitalism, materialism, and technology, basically.
>>
>>9662016
You can't be paranoid and nihilistic at the same time.
>>
No, Pynchon's books have a strong sense of empathy and morality. He values human kindness, egalitarianism, and individualism and is negative towards authoritarianism, cruelty, and bigotry.
>>
>>9663357
Retard
>>
>>9663576
This
>>
>>9662016
Pynchon is the embodiment of the 60s era postmodern, nihilistic, selfishly individualistic, kooky, childish, unserious, self-hating, minority-worshipping, boomer attitude that has been so detrimental to the west. He's an amazing writer, but he is the embodiment of something very bad, and this means he was less effective than he would have been in a less idealistically fake era not represented by Western civilizational decline.
>>
>>9663576
Tbqh this.
I'm not sure how you'd view him as nihilistic. At the core his characters despite events outside of their control deeply experience life and meaning.
>>
>>9663576
>He values human kindness, egalitarianism, and individualism and is negative towards authoritarianism, cruelty, and bigotry.
ie. self loathing sjw faggot
>>
>>9662992
The WWII of GR was more of an allegory for the 60s and early 70s than any real statement on the actual war.
>>
>>9663942
Perfect summary.
>>
>>9664060
Fuck, are you serious? Care to elaborate?
>>
he might be on /lit/ right now

>>9663119
>>
>>9662019
is this a jojo reference?
>>
File: 1497668271339.jpg (27KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
1497668271339.jpg
27KB, 400x500px
>>9662016
Everything is nihilistic because its meaningless.
>>
>>9664226
False flag
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.