[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/nonfiction/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: kek.jpg (24KB, 350x598px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
24KB, 350x598px
ITT all discussion of non-ficiton books and literature is welcome, and there is to be no discussion of fiction.

How is your nonfiction reading going lately, anons? Personally, I have the following:

>just devoured David M. Wilson's comprehensive text on the Bayeux Tapestry, I now have a very good foundation for the history of the art-object and its principal actors (Edward the Confessor, Harold, and William the Conqueror. In addition to depicting Halley's comet, which I knew about, the tapestry also depicts Mont St. Michel, which I didn't know. There's also a fair bit of horsedick when you look closely)

>this buttresses the two books on the Book of Kells that I read a few months back (loans from dad's collection), one by Francoise Henry, a similar text to the above that gives a comprehensive and scholarly treatment of its subject, in addition to a sumptuous reproduction of major elements

>I am now fully committed to reading David Anfam's huge Mark Rothko catalogue, about 30 pages in (these pages are long as fuck, but most of the book is given over to reproductions, so I've actually /read/ like 15-20% of the book)

>and I read Gauss's dedication to his Disquisitiones Arithmeticae, though I haven't yet cracked page two of the text proper (still reviewing modular arithmetic).
>>
>>9661123
I've only read two recently, one was ironically a Mark Rothko art book/biography. Rothko has been an interesting figure in my life lately, I'll probably check that book out again. His process and refusal to associate with abstract art or color theory reminds me a little of Tarkovsky's approach to film as an emotional experience.

I also got The Last Interview with James Baldwin which, although short, was extremely insightful and a great read. It's a definite reread, Baldwin approaches issues with tact, neutrality, and unwavering insight. It's super unfortunate that the last interview was cut short due to his illness, I find myself picking that book up every now and then just to chew on an idea
>>
[insert a pointless 150-post debate about the value of abstract art that effectively kills the thread]
>>
>>9661152
Wait, I didn't mean it that seriously
>bump
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.