[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is buying books pure ideology when all books are pretty much

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1387560808_They-Live-3.jpg (267KB, 1280x958px) Image search: [Google]
1387560808_They-Live-3.jpg
267KB, 1280x958px
is buying books pure ideology when all books are pretty much available to be read for free online? i am torn between the joy i feel at owning books as physical objects i can write in and place on a shelf as an instant reminder of all the ideas and feelings and my memories thereof inside & a self consciousness that i'm just being a good consumer and the desire therein to liberate myself from this means of slave morality control and further assert myself through action and ambition

tldr: is there any validity to owning a book collection?
>>
Your library of hardcopy books might be all that's left of your culture after civilization collapses.
>>
>>9659590

Somewhat unironically, this.

The books on your shelf don't give a shit when you can't get online for whatever reason. There have also been studies conducted showing a deeper connection and understanding of material when presented in physical form as opposed to electronic versions.

Being somewhat of an admitted materialist in that regard, I prefer owning physical copies of my books, albeit more expensive than downloading e- versions. I guess it really just depends on your own preference and reading style.

Plus, a shelf of books always looks nice in your home, desu.
>>
File: Lady_Murasaki_writing.jpg (126KB, 445x600px) Image search: [Google]
Lady_Murasaki_writing.jpg
126KB, 445x600px
This will all be over soon anyway. Where's the sense in minding so much?
>>
>>9659547
sentimental value.
>>
The way you take in information from a screen is different than from paper. In fact, screens operate in a hypnotic fasion. They blink over and over and over and over. This may be fine for focusing on short passages of text, but not so much for pages of prose. If you want to be less 'materialistic', check out a place called the library. Failing that, buy a book then donate it or lend it out to your friends. Otherwise, consume it.
>>
>>9659547

Speaking from experience, I feel that everything I read on the computer/tablet, no matter how densely I annotate it, vanishes down the memory hole in a number of months. It's fetishistic, for sure, but I think having the physical object to page through, look at and be reminded by, occupying space on my desk or shelf, keeps the reading alive, or something like that.

More theoretically, I want to suggest that there might be something cognitive to reading on a screen versus reading on a page. MacLuhan argues that the medium is the message—and even if you don't want to argue some kind of objective determination (though you could), at the least I think it's fair to suggest that maybe years of reading 4chan posts, tweets, and "articles" where a paragraph is a single sentence has conditioned you to read quickly and without the digestion on the screen, stimulated instead to respond immediately with little retained knowledge. Books would then have the opposite effect.
>>
You assume that the amount of non-English ebooks is the same as English ebooks.
>>
being able to write in the margins is part of it.
Really your paying for the ability not to spend your while life in front of a computer.
>>
If a book is unpopular, doesn't fit into a specific niche or isn't academic it can be extremely difficult to find online.
>>
>lifestylism
kill yourself
>>
>>9659547
you should get books, they are the literal manifestation of knowledge and wisdom.
If your computer goes to shit or the whole internet for that matter, your "e-books" go with it.
books are much more durable in the sense that the only way to destroy it is by burning it to ashes, "e-books" are much more fragile in the sense that if you spill water on your computer then its gone.
plus books that go against the status quo may perhaps, "disappear" or "become corrupted", cant easily disappear or corrupt books desu

>>9659590
FpBp
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.