[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dostoevsky Translation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: snout.jpg (77KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
snout.jpg
77KB, 480x360px
Best translation of Dostoevsky? I read the Constance Garnett translation of The Nose and it was pretty awful. Who has done the best translation of Notes from the Underground?
>>
google it fag
>>
>>9657368
>the nose
>Dostoyevsky

Anyway, just be sure to get an annotated version.
>>
P & V
>>
You should devour every translation you can get your hands on. Who cares which one you methodically look at each page of first?
>>
>>9657382
This, always . I read a non-P&V translation of Demons though and it was actually pretty damn good.
>>
>>9657368
I've read the one translated by Serge Shiskhoff and edited by Rober G Durgy

I recently got the one from amazon for free, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0082Z4YIY/ Webster’s paperbacks ill let you know how they compare
>>
>>9657722
let me know if you want me to maybe take a picture of certain parts to compare
>>
File: dosotot.jpg (614KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dosotot.jpg
614KB, 1920x1080px
>>9657722
well I'll just upload the first page anyways of the Serge Shiskhoff translation
>>
>>9657722
here's the P&V on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Underground-Vintage-Classics-Fyodor-Dostoevsky/dp/067973452X/
>>
>>9657752
I disliked it from "A truly unattractive man." Also >>9657756 P&V sucks.

However, people are usually attached to whatever translation they read first. I read the Constance Garnett translation first and I still love it, even though there's some (admittedly valid) criticisms people wage against Garnett.

The thing I don't like about both is they try too embarrassingly hard to be informal and sort of loose-talking.

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/d/dostoyevsky/d72n/chapter2.html

Also, OP >>9657368 WTF are you talking about? Gogol wrote The Nose.
>>
>>9657774
I agree about the part where you said people get attached to the first translation.

I like their informal translation though. I found it easier to read.
>>
Did anyone check Kirsten Lodge's translation of Notes from the Underground (https://broadviewpress.com/product/notes-from-the-underground/)

Is it any good?
>>
>>9657368
The best Dostoyevsky translators are McDuff and Meyer.

Other good translators are Magarshack, Asvey, and Meyer. Generally Penguin does right by Dostoyevsky in their translators.

P&V are contentious and controversial. I dislike their style of translating heavily personally, but I know many enjoy it. There's no real reason to read Garnett anymore - if you don't like her style at all you can read more modern translations, if you want a more refined version of what she's doing you can read better translations that later came along.
>>
>>9657368
Just learn Russian dummy
>>
Can someone help me with this: "And what if it so happens that a man's advantage, SOMETIMES, not only may, but even must, consist in his desiring in certain cases what is harmful to himself and not advantageous. "

I'm having trouble understanding this. he goes on to say "And if so, if there can be such a case, the whole principle falls into dust. What do you think - are there such cases?"
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.