[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

House of Memes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: meme.jpg (17KB, 217x319px) Image search: [Google]
meme.jpg
17KB, 217x319px
/lit/ noob here, both in terms of the board and literature as a whole. Nearly finished this, and I just know that this book has got to be a big fat meme on this board, but I'm genuinely curious what you all think of it. I'm thoroughly enjoying it, to the point where I'd probably call it my favorite book, but considering how few of the agreed-upon classics I've read that's not a hard position to reach. Even after just a cursory first reading I get the impression that all the typography and formatting gimmicks might be more surface-level than the author wants you to think, which makes me feel as though it might not be the kind of work that ages well. It's not as though /lit/ telling me it's shit is going to make me stop enjoying it, but I'm curious if the real enthusiasts feel as though it has any substance or if it's the kind of thing you outgrow after immersing yourself in the canon a bit more.

Also just talk about the book I guess.
>>
>>9654128
It's honestly not that big of a meme. The only threads that really come up about it are literally this kind. (Is it good?)

Nobody here really cares about it/nobody talks about it all that much.
>>
>>9654128
It was my favorite novel until I really dug deep into pomo a few years ago. It's not longer my favorite or anywhere near that (I hadn't read much at the time) but I still think it's pretty damn good, if a little gimmicky at times. There's some legitimately well done and creative parts, and it unsettled me at times. Definitely a fun read that's deceptively light and easy.
>>
I've seen people call it a meme because later on he throws the sentences all around the page or some shit. Other than that it's an okay book but yeah no one really cares about it
>>
>>9654135
Huh, I'm shocked. I figured this would be the kind of book that would be really divisive on here, since it clearly has a lot of ideas but it also seems like it's daring you to try to analyze or critique it.

>>9654144
No one caring is also surprising. Is it just that no one was that impressed by the stylistic choices and that without all the flash the prose itself is kind of mediocre or just not really noteworthy? I feel like from a structural standpoint alone there's a lot to talk about so it seems as though there would have to be some overt negative aspect to counteract it if no one talks about it all. I would have expected the general opinion to be either devoted interest or snide derision; I definitely wouldn't have guessed indifferent
>>
>>9654128
I enjoyed it
>>
Taken just as a story its pretty forgettable, but the structure stuff is fun. If you find that stuff gimmicky you won't enjoy it much.
>>
A few years back House of Leaves was quality bait material.

Basically, /lit/ falls into two camps on HoL: Either it's a well-written horror novel that experiments with form and structure in an intriguing way, or it's gimmicky and marred by Johnny Truant's unreliable narration.

I enjoyed it, personally. The scene with Karen watching the Navidson footage in the upstairs bathroom as the wall behind her suddenly, soundlessly disappears into an infinite void gives me the heebie-jeebies like little else I've read.

It's really one of those books where you get out of it what you put into it. I re-read it every couple years and always find something new and interesting.

Though Danielewski is a bit of a knob in interviews when discussing this book. I remember one where he claims he has already predicted every single possible interpretation of the novel and whenever someone presents him with their interpretation he just goes "yep, I thought of that one, too."

I don't think the formatting and typography are gimmicks in that they're superficial; I don't think the book would operate nearly as well if it were written in a straightforward chapters-and-paragraphs way.

It's fun to read.
>>
Tries too hard
>>
This book broke me. Absolutely phenomenal. Truant can be a bit much sometimes but I think his breakdown is effective and frightening. Tried reading other Danielewski after this but never found anything as compelling as this one.
>>
I said it before, and because it's witty I'll say it again. If it were written today it would be filled with emoji.
>>
>>9654128
It's okay, but after finishing it I immediately forgot about it.
>>
It's too gimmicky.
House of Leaves is the ultimate proof that Borges' plot/structure ideas only work as ideas.
>>
>>9654128
>I get the impression that all the typography and formatting gimmicks might be more surface-level than the author wants you to think
I've always thought that was the point.
It's post-postmodernism. It's "deep" for the sake of being "deep". All the hidden messages, self-referentiality, gimmicky formatting etc exist purely to make the book as convoluted as possible. The book is the labyrinth and sho on and sho on

I still think it's a good book although I haven't read it in a long time
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.