[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In trouble

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

I just got an email saying I won first prize in a poetry competition and that I am required to present it at an awards ceremony to collect my prize and "network" during the drinks afterwards.

I am too socially anxious to be able to do this. I just want someone else to read it. They say that if I can't come, I have to forfeit the prize and wont be acknowledged since I agreed I'd be available when I submitted my entry. I'm too shy to even accept an award for it on stage or be photographed.

What the fuck do I do? I'm thinking I should forfeit and just send the poem to a publisher since now I have proof it's good.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (42KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
42KB, 1280x720px
>>9653988
You wont have substantial proof its good if you forfeit it and the merit of your work has much to do with how you handle yourself as a client of a publisher as much as the content of your work. Furthermore, the whole point of the networking is to send your poem to a publisher as they will be among the people there they will give you their details and all that garbage. This is a fucking golden opportunity, just go and do it because what is the worst that can happen? If you go you may make mistakes or not network effectively with a publisher but that is not grounds for them retracting your award and you still have substantial proof of the quality of your work to send to publishers. If you fail you might be able to feed off your self-loathing and anxiety to create more work but you may struggle to find this type of recognition for your work again and it will eat at you and you might learn to hate your source of creativity.
>>
>>9653988
I'll go for you pussy if I get free meal or drink or something.
>>
>>9653988
Best case scenario: you fumble your way through the night and meet a few people in the industry, not necessarily having to talk to them or pursue them later. You get your prize and the recognition from the industry.
Worst case: you make an aspie pariah out of yourself while still keeping the money and the title.
>>
>>9653988
They'll be all like "look at this troubled, talented poetry writer, so modest and special!".

You are handsome, right?
>>
>>9653988

>since now I have proof it's good.

You don't have jack shit if you forfeit your prize. Jesus Christ, just go and do it while doing best case scenario in >>9654023 . If the night goes at all south, just drink it off. Why are you even asking this? Are you _that_ autistic?
>>
File: Thatmakesmeangry.jpg (58KB, 386x426px) Image search: [Google]
Thatmakesmeangry.jpg
58KB, 386x426px
YOU WON A FUCKING CONTEST, WHICH 99% OF THE WRITERS HERE ON /lit/ ARE INCAPABLE OF DOING

NOW YOU WANT TO DUCK OUT OF THE PRIZE AND THE CEREMONY YOU HAVE RIGHTFULLY EARNED, THE SOLE PURPOSE OF WHICH IS TO CELEBRATE YOUR TALENT

ALL BECAUSE YOU ARE A FUCKING /r9k/ AUTIST WHO CAN'T HANDLE THE THOUGHT OF INTERACTING WITH PEOPLE IN A SOCIAL SETTING

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

LET ME KILL YOU AND WEAR YOUR FUCKING SKIN, I'LL GO TO THAT FUCKING AWARDS CEREMONY AND BASK IN THE GLORY YOU'VE EARNED BUT ARE TOO CHICKENSHIT TO ACCEPT
>>
File: 1496475709292.jpg (22KB, 369x333px) Image search: [Google]
1496475709292.jpg
22KB, 369x333px
>>9654047

>ALL BECAUSE YOU ARE A FUCKING /r9k/ AUTIST

and you are bitterly coveting his talent in heated capslock rage

gg normie brainlet
>>
>>9653988
Don't give I'm the prize. Take an Ativan before you go or something. You'll be fine.

Congrats. Don't forget us.
>>
>>9654047
>>9654035
The problem is that I think I'll forget the poem on stage while I'm reading it and the potential publishers will drop me like a rock and not talk to me during networking. I'm not even really sure what networking involves too. I don't have a portfolio or anything I can hand to them on request. I'm also scared because there will be an audience full of English majors critiquing my poem, and they might thrash me on social media. I'm really scared someone will record it on their phone and upload it and I'll become a meme and I won't be able to go outside again without being recognised as that autistic guy who couldn't read his poem.
>>
>>9653988
Congrats

Dont be such a pussy
>>
File: 1496538659430.jpg (106KB, 450x561px) Image search: [Google]
1496538659430.jpg
106KB, 450x561px
>>9654069

>The problem is that I think I'll forget the poem on stage while I'm reading it

m8 if you need to read it on stage just skip the whole thing. if you're half as sperg as you sound it's going to be fucking disastrous.

networking is a middlebrow meme anyway. if you have actual talent you should focus on that and leave the rest behind.
>>
>>9653988

Either get drunk or pop a Xanax but don't do both unless you want no recollection of the day whatsoever.
>>
>>9654069
We're already making fun of you on here for the hypothetical scenario you're presenting. No one on Facebook will be as cutting as we are right now. You can only go up from here you autist. Networking is a meme, just have enough drinks where you can talk your way through the night. And fuck, just print the poem out and if you still fuck up the words, go the Ginsberg route and say you were editing it on the fly.
>>
>>9654069
I'm pretty sure you can bring a copy of the poem with you onstage. You think that public speakers just memorize all of their speeches? Jesus, anon. Stop being so autistic. I swear there's at least one of these threads every few weeks where a /lit/ poster wins, or at least larps as winning, a modest contest and spergs out over the idea of having to do something outside of their house.
>>
>>9654090
this.
self medicating with alcohol allowed me to function as a normal human being. So much so that I always had a flask on me for two years. Just a sip or two, though. Just enough to take the edge off.
>>
>>9653988
can you post the poem??
>>
OP is this pasta?

I posted a thread exactly like this a month ago for a short story prize I won, where I also have to talk to people and read on-stage etc.

Question for anybody still lurking:

Is it rude to ask that my photograph not be taken during the ceremony? The wind and the heat make my hair look fucking retarded and I look terrible in photographs taken by modern digital cameras (which capture every flaw / detail). Is it rude if I quietly ask that no photos be taken unless the camera takes only sepia photos?
>>
>>9654245
>Is it rude to ask that my photograph not be taken during the ceremony?
Yes
>>
>>9654245
>Is it rude if I quietly ask that no photos be taken unless the camera takes only sepia photos?
I laughed
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.