[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Writing for TV

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 3

As a neet who is not in art school, how can i practice writing, specifically for creating episodes of a tv series? All i do is write a bunch of stories in script format. But Im not sure how educated i am in terms of creating plots and timing and what not.

I want to see if i can build a writing portfolio to show to a studio to see if i can get hired.
>>
File: 1497340045450.jpg (178KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
1497340045450.jpg
178KB, 1000x563px
>>9653984
Anon, first of all:

Read some books regarding screenwriting structure, character development and typical structure elements such as the set-up and pay-off. John Yorke's Into The Woods is good for this as he works in British television and has done for the past 20 years. He knows what he's talking about.

I assume you've already encountered Syd Field's Screenplay book, Robert McKee's Story, Blake Snyder's Save The Cat, etc. If not, check those out: they vary in quality but they'll offer useful info for beginners in screenwriting. Robert McKee's Dialogue is also a useful book in how to write good dialogue rather than relying on exposition to get your story rolling.

On top of that: it's not just enough to have a big bag of screenplays. Submit them to competitions first: if you win, it proves you're good at what you do. If you don't win, it still proves you're a legitimate screenwriter and that your screenplay has received legitimate attention. Some of the people reading your works for these competitions (agents, production companies, filmmakers, actors, playhouses, etc) may even really enjoy your stuff, even if you didn't win anything. It may be that they see potential in a new writer who isn't exactly quite there yet, which means KEEP AT IT, m8. Keep in mind also that no competition is too small or too large: large ones will have cash prizes but they're also more intensely difficult to win (people tend to write for years before they even get noticed through those due to how many submissions they get). If you want to see your work produced, try submitting to small competitions, especially run by indie playhouses or a small group of recent graduate filmmakers. A lot of people need scripts and not many people are willing to polish their own original ideas into a well structured creation.

If you can take any screenwriting courses to help you develop your skills, do so. Masterclass.com has some worthwhile classes hosted by Aaron Sorkin and David Mamet right now and they're very thorough while also being accessible. If you can't afford those, there's plenty of writing blogs and screenwriting communities you can find via social media (this may mean you might have to be more sociable online). Don't turn your nose up to studying at a college or going for networking meet-ups too.

Also make sure you invested in Final Draft. Final Draft makes formatting so much easier and people will recognise very quickly whether you wrote in Final Draft or not. Screenplays for TV or film not written in Final Draft but, say, Microsoft Word of CELTX are often very quickly trashed. Final Draft is the way to go, but unfortunately it is kinda pricey. It's pretty essential though.

After all of that, I would then consider finding an agent to represent you. Most production companies don't want scripts from unsolicited sources: they may have heard of you at this point but without an agent you'll find it difficult to get your foot in the door.

Hope this helps, OP.
>>
>>9653984
>neet
>in art school
You don't even know what neet means.
Not in Employment Education or Training
>>
>>9654455
he said he wasn't in art school, anon
>>
>>9654415
thats going to take a toll on my backlog, but ill check those out. I dont want to be secretly writing cringy shit for years
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.