[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Writing Outlet Ideas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

So I'd like to be a better writer, but beyond shitposting what are some good ideas on casual ways to practice? Some ideas I have to get you started:
>Reviewing albums, movies, books etc
>Documenting my dreams
>???

I'd especially like to get into creative writing and poetry, but have a hard time doing so.
>>
Get into writing angry letters to the editor
>>
Copy favorite passages from favorite authors.
>>
>>9650053
Just fucking write you fucking faggot holy shit
>>
File: 1486875297391.jpg (203KB, 640x711px) Image search: [Google]
1486875297391.jpg
203KB, 640x711px
>>9650053
if you want to be better there's no greater practice than just sitting down and writing. jesus fucking christ it isnt rocket science. i thought that was obvious to most people who were interested in writing.
>>
>>9650086
>>9650115
I don't know why both of you are assuming I don't know I have to write to get better.. the question is explicitly asking for casual ways to practice writing, not "how to get better", so all you're doing is demonstrating shit reading comprehension here.

I was thinking exploring reviewing albums, movies and books would be very beneficial for an aspiring writer, but struggled to find more seemingly simply things I could do within a 20-30 minute period every morning and am looking for suggestions.
>>
File: we must cleanse this world.jpg (72KB, 750x709px) Image search: [Google]
we must cleanse this world.jpg
72KB, 750x709px
>>9650215
bitch, think of something, hold it in your mind's eye and descriptively write it down. go back to it a week later and edit it until you're happy with it. then, leave it alone for a month and come back to it again and edit it further if it needs it. damn was that so hard?
>>
>>9650320
That's certainly one, rather boring and uninspiring, way to go about it.

I get the feeling I shouldn't be taking your advice, as you refuse to properly address the question and continue to sling these poorly written sentences littered with vulgarity and ad hominem.

So, please leave my thread, and perhaps take your own advice angry frog man.
>>
File: 1497306553216.png (13KB, 439x461px) Image search: [Google]
1497306553216.png
13KB, 439x461px
>>9650359
I'm not the faggot who doesn't know what Google is.
>>
aside from just practicing by sitting down and forcing yourself to practice, maybe take a free online course through a website like coursera? another thing, of course, is to read as much as possible. read the authors and poets you admire, and then read the ones other people admire; read them obsessively and analytically, the way you had to in high school--really think about what makes certain passages effective, rhetorical devices, etc. and, of course, casual writing exercises (journaling, mock reviews, etc.) are a great way to get some practice in, albeit somewhat minimal.
>>
>>9650053
Documenting your dreams sounds like a great idea if you're into psychoanalysis, introspection and that sort of thing. So what makes you tick? Personally I don't wish to be a better writer at the moment but if I did I would ask myself this question first.

If I was down on my luck and into introspection, self-knowledge and so on I'd write about my dreams, emotional struggles, maybe write some kind of tutorial to myself, a self help book just for me and make it really shiny too. Two birds with one stone because I got some writing practice in and I got better at the things I like doing like psychoanalyzing and helping myself by taking a more systematic approach instead of only pondering on it.

If I was into politics I'd effortpost in the comment section of my go-to news site, analyze the essays and articles by the journalists which I find most eloquent etc. and find out what rhetorical devices make it so and compare them to the way I'd have put it, which idioms and phrases I can adopt and so on. Copypaste direct examples to notepad. Read all articles by the journalist even in areas I don't like: Again two birds with one stone insofar that I read stuff I normally wouldn't thus expanding my political horizons.

tldr know yourself, follow your interests, contemplate how writing could benefit you outside of just getting better at writing. Become a whole person
>>
>>9650053
I'm no professional but what I like to do is basically freestyle half prose half poetry
It helps practice word flow and develop ideas about characters I might use
They usually end up sounding like metal lyrics but I have a few I'm proud of
>>
>>9650802
>>9650053
Btw the best part is just use google docs mobile
Sure it fucks up your formatting but it is so convenient to just pull out the phone when inspiration strikes
>>
>>9650053
Editing your own text is extremely boring and tedious, but it's a great way to improve.

Reading entirely different type of prose and genre is also something I recommend.
Just reading "fine literature" is all fine, but you can actually learn a lot by reading those trashy novels that still managed to find an audience, even if it's far from the poetry you seek.
>>
i often find writing spontaneously (esp concerning dreams, intrusive thoughts, sometimes even an odd, liminal experience lasting only long enough to leave you halted on a sidewalk) and proceeding to separate yourself for a week or more, then returning and editing is quite helpful

i make certain to read between these periods, so criticism's often overwhelming in its ease of summoning; the only caveat is resisting the urge to just delete it all in a fit of self pity
>>
>>9650945
This^^
>>
>>9650544
Thank you for the advice. I enjoyed Melville's Moby Dick unlike anything I've consumed before, and one of my biggest regrets in reading ws doing it so casually - omitting the analytical steps that would've benifitted me so much.I will try to incorporate this into future as often as I can remember.

>>9650767
Well, the dream documentation stems from the fact that it enhances dream recall, leading to lucidiity. It's just a little hobby of mine and it makes sleeping at night a whole new experience.

Following along with the "two birds one stone" mantra, this is absolutely what I'm looking for in this thread, I wish I would've included that in the OP. I have considered writing technical documents and tutorials for software I use since it's often lacking. I also would like to become a better effortposter, and have been reading more articles in the past few weeks (but not necassarily responding, just internalizing how I felt and contrasting with other comments). However, this usually more about the articles content, not the writers rhetorical devices and such - that is something I will certainly begin to look for.

Thank you for the thought out reply full of applicable material.

>>9650802
I wrote one essay in school that was allowed to be like what you describe, it was so fucking fun. I only chose that category because it was easy to bullshit, but I had such a great time focusing on prose and in the end it was my most proud piece.

>>9650819
Noted, I will keep this in mind when I scan over some aged .txt files. And interesting take on the trashy novels, I would wonder if they might ever yield a bigger return on the time investment than the 'classics'.

>>9650945
Interesting, I wil try this. Do you edit them, expand on them, or simply reread them?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.