[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

drama

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: a230_olsu1_f1.jpg (324KB, 500x790px) Image search: [Google]
a230_olsu1_f1.jpg
324KB, 500x790px
I have recently been getting interested in drama and have found reading it to be just as interesting as prose or poetry. I don't see it spoken about here much, outside of course of Shakespeare. So let's talk about drama. What are your favourite plays?

pic related isn't my favourite, but I'm wondering if anyone's read Webster's Duchess of Malfi here. I would like to discuss it and see people's views
>>
File: 813k0Gruz-L.jpg (417KB, 1525x2335px) Image search: [Google]
813k0Gruz-L.jpg
417KB, 1525x2335px
And despite how normie it is, A Streetcar Named Desire is a masterpiece, and you cannot prove me wrong on that.
>>
I really like the dramatic works of Lorca. Also I would recommend the films of Bergman as they are dramatic works in their own right.
>>
>>9648823
Well Bergman was, as well as a filmmaker, a theatre director - so that doesn't surprise me. His films have a lot of theatrical strains in them too, such as the troupe in The Seventh Seal and the Christmas party in Fanny & Alexander.
>>
Oedipus and The Frogs
>>
>>9648858
Aristophanes is fab. But I prefer his more political works like The Knights and The Wasps, but that's just because I like Ancient Greek politics.

I personally cannot properly get into Sophocles, but Euripides is right up my alley.
>>
>>9648823
Recommend a play from Lorca
>>
Is there anyone here who has ever read Lope de Vega? I'm learning Spanish to be able to read him and Cervantes in their original language.
>>
File: poor humans.jpg (8KB, 200x312px) Image search: [Google]
poor humans.jpg
8KB, 200x312px
>>9648845
Also his actors enunciate like if they were stage acting.
>>
I'm not too well read on tragedy, but the Oresteia trilogy is probably my favorite. What I find interesting about it is that all of the main characters are torn between two competing moral values, and each must make a decision which will place them in line with one more while violating another more.
>To fulfill the going-to-war virtue, Agamemnon must murder his daughter
>His wife Clytamenstra is then torn between loyalty to her husband and her need for vengeance for her daughter
>Her son is then torn between loyalty to his mother and vengeance for his father.
What all of these have in common is that every character must essentially embrace some violence virtue at the expense of loyalty to kin.
>>
>>9649162
I fucking loved that play
>>
>>9649162
Just picked up a Strindberg collection--is this Caryl Churchhill one crazy different?
>>
>>9649880
No idea. It was just the first image result, didn't see the 'new version' until after I posted.
>>
Marat/Sade is one of the most brilliant things I have EVER read.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.