[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Great Gatsby is Overrated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 9780743273565_p0_v6_s192x300.jpg (15KB, 192x294px) Image search: [Google]
9780743273565_p0_v6_s192x300.jpg
15KB, 192x294px
Does anyone else feel this way? I'm sure I'm not the only one but I want to hear other people's thoughts. Are there other books that deal with similar themes that don't suck btw?
>>
Yeah, I agree with Mencken, who called it a glotified anecdote. Read Tender is the Night
>>
>>9645292
>The Great Gatsby is Overrated
Wow what a strange and weird statement to hear on /lit/! I bet no one here will agree with this!
>>
>>9645292
The pity is that this great book is wasted on high school students, who resent having to read it, like Conrad is as well.
>>
It's funny. This time last summer I re-read all of his novels. Theyre simply wonderful, even This Side of Paradise (the conclusion of which is just perfect). I did so because I too had been guilty of de-valuing him, which I now know was a complete mistake.
>>
>>9645322
I don't come on here too much, even though I love reading. I kind of figured it wasn't an uncommon opinion but I wanted to have a discussion about it.

>>9645296
>>9645362
I haven't actually read any of his other stuff because of how little I enjoy Gatsby. Would you say Gatsby is not representative of his other work? Or that it's one of his weaker novels?
>>
Why is it overrated? Because it seems it is underwhelming because of its length? The Stranger is about the same length, and still considered a masterpiece. Why? Probably because many people can identify with the main character, because many people have been in existential nihillistic crisis.
>>
It's read too early, too often, and is often interpreted from the normie viewpoint of "how do I connect to the main character." On its own I don't think it's amazing however it's not deserving of a full blown devaluation.
>>
>>9645579
I don't think it's bad I just think it's kind of undeservedly glorified
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.