[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anybody read this ? This is my first book from Gardner btw. As

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: s-l300.jpg (22KB, 209x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
22KB, 209x300px
Anybody read this ? This is my first book from Gardner btw.
As a philosophy teacher myself (France, high school teacher) I kinda recognize myself in the character although I'm far from being as fucked up.
The atmosphere & writing are really beautiful and ominous, I agree with the philosophical views. The intellectuals quarrels depicted are still very much up to date, especially the disdain of the analytical faggots against "classicism". Mickelsson's melancholy when it comes to his classic heritage, especially when it comes to his grandfather, is interesting and well done too. I wonder how much of this is autobiographical...
Is Gardner read a lot in the US ? He's barely known here.
>>
>>9643796
You've come to the wrong board froggie.
>>
>>9643796
Grendel is read pretty frequently. On Moral Fiction has its followers but it was much more influential back in the 1980's than it is today. I haven't read Mickelsons Ghosts.
>>
> is Gardner read a lot in the US ?

High Schoolers typically read Beowulf and then Gardner's novel Grendel; beyond that, his works are not read here.
>>
>>9644119
My edition's preface says On Moral Fictions was shat on and considered reactionary, is this true ?
Also bump
>>
>>9643796
gardner got completely BTFO by gass and gaddis

he's a pseud
>>
>>9645023
He seemed to think dark humor was immoral, so he considered Beckett and Pynchon among others immoral. Also that fiction should be life affirming if it is to be considered moral fiction. I found the later strange because an awful lot of religious literature is far from life affirming. Most will tell you that the world is a vale of tears. Or that life is suffering. If I remember right he also ripped on Catch 22 because Yossarian wasn't willing to die fighting the Nazis.
>>
File: banana.jpg (20KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
banana.jpg
20KB, 700x394px
I read most of Gardner when I was in my 20s. Some good stuff. I don't think it aged well. My porblem with MG was the professor protagonist (yawn) and the weird twist at the end with the Mormons.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.