[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japanese Light Novels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: 1488194202748.jpg (116KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1488194202748.jpg
116KB, 1000x750px
Does anyone here read Japanese Light Novels? How did you start? Are there any in English?

I'm a total newb and have never read one and have no idea where to begin.

Some guidance would be appreciated.
>>
>>>/a/
>>>/jp/
>>
I liked Durarara and you can get a few titles in english from Yen On
>>
>>9642860
Small market, but it is profound enough to look into, i purchase very few light novels but currently looking into The Devil Is A Part Timer! and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

The Japanese light novels that were profound enough for me to buy in native language was Kokoro Connect and Full Metal Panic!, and soon it might be Amagi Brilliant Park I consider buying as well(same auther as FMP)
>>
>>9643098
go back to jerking off to David Foster Wallace. light novels are lit.
>>
File: 1433650667600.jpg (37KB, 383x379px) Image search: [Google]
1433650667600.jpg
37KB, 383x379px
Why can't the Japanese write decent characters that are actually human?
>>
>>9643338
sure they are Davido-kun
>>
>>9642860
The entire Spice and Wolf LN series is available to purchase in English. Don't know about any others.

Just remember that the LN format is based on particular kinds of stories. Mostly wish fulfillment fantasies where the reader is supposed to self-insert as the male protagonist.
>>
>>9642860
"Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria" is good and you can find it online. It's commonly recommended to beginners. Story's done too and is getting a real English release.

Other than that, I love "Konosuba" which you can also find online, and is hilarious.
>>
File: Shut in.jpg (132KB, 640x884px) Image search: [Google]
Shut in.jpg
132KB, 640x884px
>>9643358
>Japanese
>Human
Good question...
The real answer comes from Hayao Miyazaki, It's written by shut-ins for shut-ins.
>>
>>9642860
alright so the prose in LNs is so lackluster that the inevitable anime adaptation always ads something to it.
the general point is that light novels are worse in prose content than english YA novels and all the worthwhile LNs have anime adaptations which improve upon the text so just don't ever read LNs
I mean christ you aren't even done the canon and you're reading the text version of Nip jerkoff cartoons cmon you are (here addressing anyone) better than this
>>
>>9642860
Why would you want to?

LN's target audience is literally 13 year old kids.
Japanese junior high school libraries usually don't have actual manga, but they do have LNs, so kids read those between classes.

Imagine if a grown Japanese man wanted to read Goosebumps, Hardy Boys, and the Wayside School series.
>>
>>9643426
>LN's target audience is literally 13 year old kids.
I'm suspicious about this because the light novels I read can be pretty gruesome and adult...
>>
>>9643469
adult? or just edgy?
>>
>>9643469
Just like M-rated games are for mature people, right.
>>
>>9642860
Literally nip YA.
>>
File: images.jpg (10KB, 262x192px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10KB, 262x192px
>>9643402
fuck me I what to binge read all the Spice and Wolf books in one go. the new cover ugly tho.
>>
>>9643661
I don't like YA all that much but that dosen't mean it ain't /lit/ tho.
>>
>>9643681
Are you dense? YA, anything like YA (which includes "Light novels"), is the antithesis of what literature embodies.
>>
I'm currently reading one because when I tried to read Shiba Ryoutarou I got my ass kicked. LN I can understand 90%; Shiba, 20%.
>>
>>9643404
>Other than that, I love "Konosuba" which you can also find online, and is hilarious.
This! Konosuba is the best.
>>
>>9643404
>konosuba
Worst thing I ever had the chance to read.
The prose was so nad, I couldn't put up with it.
I get it that the characters are likeable, but it's horrible to read.
>>
>>9643404
If Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria was not from Japan you would be calling it YA crap

I only own Legend of the galactic heroes but haven't read it. Kino's Journey/Boogiepop would be picked up if they were fully released/not OOP.
>>
>>9643675
Didn't they change their mind though?
>>
If you like light novels you're not allowed to call muh genre fiction bad to be honest.
>>
>>9642860
Welcome to the NHK brah, much better (and more real) than the anime version.
>>
>>9643415
If you're watching rather than reading Nisio Isin - you're losing out.
>>
>>9647287
The light novel designation is more flexible than Western conceptions of genre fiction and encompasses a wide variety of speculative fiction tropes. You have psychological mystery writing by people like Nisio Isin on one side and reinterpretations of the adventure fiction genre like Fire Girl on the other. You even have hard science stories based on real developments in quantum science like Murasaki-iro no Qualia, or grounded YA love stories like Hanbun Tsuki.

Honestly, the West is so limited in its conception of what's possible in speculative fiction that it's not even funny.
>>
>>9646693
Legend of the Galactic Heroes translation sucks. Anime is clearly better (even though I'm not a huge fan).
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.