[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the King James Bible really a great work of literature in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

Is the King James Bible really a great work of literature in itself (especially aesthetically/stylistically speaking) or is it just important to read because of its "historical significance"?
>>
>>9642338
Both.
>>
>>9642338
what's the difference
>>
>>9642338
It's a beautiful book in terms of literature, yes.
>The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
>He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
>He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
>Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
>Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
>Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Pure pottery. Compare that to other Bibles. Here's The Message rendering:
>God, my shepherd!
> I don’t need a thing.
>You have bedded me down in lush meadows,
> you find me quiet pools to drink from.
>True to your word,
> you let me catch my breath
> and send me in the right direction.
>Even when the way goes through
> Death Valley,
>I’m not afraid
> when you walk at my side.
>Your trusty shepherd’s crook
> makes me feel secure.
>You serve me a six-course dinner
> right in front of my enemies.
>You revive my drooping head;
> my cup brims with blessing.
>Your beauty and love chase after me
> every day of my life.
>I’m back home in the house of God
> for the rest of my life.
Garbage. The only reason this crap is published at all is because it's a Bible, and they'll publish anything if it says it's a Bible. The KJV was meant to replace both the Geneva Bible, which was the Bible used at home by families, and the Bishops Bible, which was the Bible used in Churches by the clergy. As such, they made sure that the King James would be easy to read and also beautiful to hear. They went over every verse 12 times, comparing it to all the different published Hebrew/Greek texts, the Latin Vulgate, the English translations that came before it, and Bibles in other languages like French. The result is a beautiful work of art that will last for ages. It is aesthetically, stylistically, and spiritually good for you.
>>
Every other bible translation is literally brainlet tier designed for the average american with an IQ of around 87
>>
>>9642479
>ignoring the greatest translation of all
>Wen dey hear dat, dey come wild, an dey grind dea teet at Stephen cuz dey mad. But Godʼs Spesho Spirit wen take charge a him. An he look up to da sky, an see how awesome God stay, an Jesus standing by Godʼs right side. He say, “Look! I see da sky stay open. An da Guy Dass fo Real stay standing by Godʼs right side!”
>Den dey wen yell real loud, an dey wen cover dea ears, an dey wen run at him, an drag him outside da town, an start fo throw stones at him. Da guys dat wen talk agains him inside da court, dey wen put down dea coats by one young guyʼs feet, da guy name Saul. Dey all stay throwing stones at Stephen, an he wen tell da Boss Up Dea Inside Da Sky, “Jesus, you da Boss. Take my spirit!” An he wen fall down on his knees, an wen yell, “Boss, no hold dis bad ting agains dem.” An afta he wen say dat, he wen mahke.
>Da guy Saul stay dea, an he tink dass good dey wen kill Stephen.
>>
>>9642491
>Does not wisdom call, And understanding lift up her voice?
>On top of the heights beside the way,
Where the paths meet, she takes her stand;
>Beside the gates, at the opening to the city, At the entrance of the doors, she cries out:
>“To you, O men, I call, And my voice is to the sons of men.
>“O naive ones, understand prudence;
And, O fools, understand wisdom.
>“Listen, for I will speak noble things,"

NASB is pretty good.
>>
>>9642632
Hawaiian Pidgin closely resembles the parlance of Uncle Remus.
>>
>>9642709
Mark 1, NASB
>The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
>As it is written in Isaiah the prophet: “Behold, I send My messenger ahead of You, who will prepare Your way;
The quote "Behold, I send My messenger ahead of You, who will prepare Your way" is a quote from Malachi the prophet. It's a continuity issue. I often check that verse to see if a Bible is good or not. The King James says "as it is written in the prophets," which makes it accurate. He the next verse is a quote from Isaiah, so in the King James he says "as it is written in the prophets" and than quotes two prophets. In the NASB he says "as it is written in Isaiah the prophet" and than quotes Malachi and Isaiah. In the original Greek, the older published Greek texts say "as it is written in the prophets" and the later Westcott and Hort editions add the name of Isaiah. It's a bad book if it's gonna have continuity issues like that
>>
historical significance shouldn't be taken lightly. The Bible is important because it is the most foundational book to all of western civilization. Without the Bible, our culture today would be radically different. Reading the Bible gives us an understanding of how the civilization we live in and the values it holds came to be.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.