[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What value is there in Godel's ontological proof?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: image.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
I've heard Catholics say it validates religion and wiki say it just posits we have an immortal soul, but I've only been able to read it as explained by others because it rockets over my cranium
>>
>>9642081
I believe it is meant to demonstrate that there are no flaws in Aquinus's and Anselm's formulations of the proof
>>
>>9642081
I think Kant was right when he said that God's being cannot be determined a priori
>>
The axiom of his proof are not intuitive nor justificated
>>
>we have an immortal soul
>have

Are.
>>
File: St.-Thomas-Aquinas.jpg (144KB, 600x433px) Image search: [Google]
St.-Thomas-Aquinas.jpg
144KB, 600x433px
Anyone who's REALLY Catholic knows God exists on the basis of faith, with the intervention of the supernatural as an additional guarantor.

This applies to Aquinas too, by the way. Aquinas didn't need any of his Five Proofs. Aquinas would have believed in God without any of them, because he was a true Christian who had faith, and faith was enough. He wanted to lay out his five proofs because he wanted to show that reason necessarily leads one to God, as well as faith.
>>
none, as it's based in axioms. axioms as bases for arguments fall directly into the realm of subjectivity.

a common example would be that many consider it axiomatic that "murder is wrong", even though people will make excuses under certain circumstances to justify it or recognize that there is no evidence in the first place that it is inherently wrong to murder. the same goes for the axioms in godel's proof, the argument only has meaning if you agree with the axioms, though there is no tangible evidence for them.
>>
>>9643092
>>9643105
Both pretty interesting.
The issue I have with materialism is that it ultimately regresses to Turtles All the Way Down going backwards and oblivion going forwards in clear defiance of the logic on the other end.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.