[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

William Gibson/Neuromancer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Neuromancer_Brazilian_cover.jpg (12KB, 235x350px) Image search: [Google]
Neuromancer_Brazilian_cover.jpg
12KB, 235x350px
Just finished it. Wew. Had to read it in 2 chunks, first chunk mainly I was just digesting the aesthetic and the language and all of that style that was so influential. This sit down I tried to actually follow the plot but it was pretty nonsensical really.

I checked out Gibson's official twitter after apparently he had praise for Sasha Grey portraying Molly in some art exhibition/reading of the book, but it's actually just TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP which I 100% didn't see coming. Check it out:

https://twitter.com/GreatDismal

Anyway, what were your thoughts on Neuromancer? Did /lit/ read any of his other books? Also what's your opinion on Gibson purely as a thinker?
>>
>>9639739
I could never finish that book, the stream of consciousness style pisses me off so much. Im glad my feelings towards Necromancer being a non-nonsensical novel has been validated. Thank you OP. Now might I suggest an actual Sci-Fi Book.
>>
>>9639750
not sherrif serious
>>
>>9639739
Damn. Does he live on twitter? His output is astonishing
>>
>>9639758
agreed

he's completely embraced it, which is surprising because for a long time i think he refused to use computers and the internet lol
>>
>>9639750
literally his least meritable first contact novel of that loosely collated trilogy.

the film version is by far more significant, though both are to say the least, eminent.
>>
>>9639739
I didn't really like it to be honest. I found it nonsensical too. I only read it because I found 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' enjoyable and I bought the two around the same time.
I'll admit I'm not the biggest sci-fi fan but 'Neuromancer' left a bad impression of Gibson. If I were to read more sci-fi again I'll be sticking to other authors.
>>
>>9639739
I like how nonsensical it is. I also liked the stream of consciousness prose a lot, although it makes some parts impossible to understand because not only was the internet a new thing at the time (and much more different than what it is now) but Gibson didn't bother actually portraying it realistically, so you're just left with this odd mix of outdated real technology and equally outdated fantastical technology.

I read it when i was like 13 for the first time and for the life of me i could not understand a single fucking thing of what was going on, but i remember loving the aesthetic. Gibson has my favorite prose in science fiction and I earnestly believe it's literary enough to move him out of the genre shit camp. I decided to read it a while later and it made a lot more sense since by that time i was more familiar with the tech of the time.
>>
I wish I could get shit out of genre-fiction but I find it mind dulling.
>>
>>9639764
The movie
>completely skips the Chinese trying to get to the Jovian moon!
>It completely skims moon walkers troubles and how he became self aware.
>It Completely skips the fight between the jaguar and moon walkers tribe.
>The internal conflict faced by hal was completely ignored
Compared to the book, the movie is absolutely trash.
>>
>>9639739
Doesn't contain the same silly fun as Snow Crash. Some ideas from the Matrix come from there, naturally.

I read Johnny Mnemonic (it's pretty short). Seems like South Park makes fun of that short story with dolphins. The story is probably not filmable, but someone tried, nonetheless.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.