[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I would like your opinions.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 20170415_225458_Richtone(HDR).jpg (761KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170415_225458_Richtone(HDR).jpg
761KB, 3264x1836px
Hey /lit/.
I've been trying to write a short story for a contest for a little while and I've just started out a new one.
Can I have your opinions on it please?

I will give you a snippet of the main characters introduction.
(PS. This is a very first draft, I haven't gone over it yet so it will be full of imperfections.)
----- ----- -----

It was a dirty day.

The rain hammered against the roofs around him, swilling algae and muck around in the gutters, finally spewing it out onto the dark stone road.

He heaved himself up the stone road in a zig-zag stagger, swaying left and then right,one backstep followed by an exhausted pause.

His eyes drew tightly shut as his body shook. Hunger tightened it's grip over him. Pain filled the gaps.

Opening his eyes he watches the black water carrying the city's reuse over his feet and down to the bottom of the road.

He thought about how simple life would be if he just gave up and went with the flow. To let the current have it's way with him and finally drop him off at the bottom with all of the other sane people.

But he wasn't sane. He had an insane dream, an impossible dream, but he knew it was all he damn well wanted.

He raised his eyes and felt his head become lighter. He took a sharp inhale and watched as the stone road became the top of the street, become the rooftops, become grey clouds, become rooftops again which then became realisation.

Falling backwards down a hill had always been an odd sensation he thought. It was as if you had gone through the floor and would continue to keep spinning for all of eternity.

Until, of course, reality came back with a blinding crack.

He untensed and lay on the ground. The white flashes lingered and he watched the private light show play out on the grey clouds above.

"Figures. I'm too heavy to float" he thought.

Once the light show had petered out to an uneventful but welcome climax he tried to rediscover his limbs. A task which, in his current state, was trickier than he had thought it'd be.

At the top of the street a carriage plodded up over the horizon. Nestled comfortably on the shoulders of four prisoners wearing sodden hemp tunics. Their faces were battered and split with sharp, cruel, eyes glaring out from beneath the guard captains favourite invention. The skull helmets.

----- ----- -----

There is more, but this is just a bit. What do you think?
Also excuse the picture. I don't have many saved on here. So here's a picture of a crowd on stage with a band at a local bar of mine.
>>
>>9638358
reads like something a women or a liberal would write, i.e. utter shit
>>
>>9638368
Do you want to go into more detail?
How would you suggest it be structured?
>>
seems like a good enough intro to me, but it's impossible to judge without reading the rest of the story, which I don't want to do.
>>
This whole excerpt could be condensed into two or three lines. You really haven't said much and you've spent too much time setting the scene. And saying 'he thought' is hackneyed, show don't tel yadayada
>>
>>9638585
Okay.
I'll try and rewrite it to make it hold the readers attention.

>>9638603
Yes I will be changing the "he thought" later on. I thought the same thing as well.

As for over descriptive, I agree that it is.
However I was aiming to write a story which is stimulating to the readers senses. Hence why it's sniffing the arse of purple prose.

Do you perhaps have a good novel I could look at to see how to get the senses engaged without being to wound up in scene setting?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.