[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Time Magazine's Top 100 Novels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1490296750826.png (947B, 416x454px) Image search: [Google]
1490296750826.png
947B, 416x454px
Do you believe this is a good list of worthwhile literature?

http://entertainment.time.com/2005/10/16/all-time-100-novels/

What do you think is missing and deserves to be on here? What should be removed?
>>
File: gravitys rainbow.jpg (14KB, 260x381px) Image search: [Google]
gravitys rainbow.jpg
14KB, 260x381px
>>9636576
> No, it is not unreadable. For most of its 700-plus pages it’s so crazily, scarily, sumptuously readable that you hate to put it aside even as the last paragraph thunders down on your head. The unsummarizable plot centers, to the extent that it centers at all, on Tyrone Slothrop, an American who comes to the attention of British intelligence during World War II when a map indicating the locales of his sexual encounters with London women shows that they correspond with the places struck by German V-2 missiles. Can his erections predict the random distribution of agents of death? From there we proceed into a massive continent-wide effort to construct a V-2, which is itself an occasion for a fantastic multitude of meditations upon the human need to build systems of intellectual order even as we use the same powers of intellect to hasten our destruction. (Did we mention that this is also a comedy, more or less?) Among American writers of the second half of the 20th century, Pynchon is the indisputed candidate for lasting literary greatness. This book is why.

This seems like a pretty good list actually.
>>
>>9636576

It's fine.

Also in case anyone just skips to the list and complains it's all new books: it's not literally the best novels of all time. It's their list of the best novels released during Time Magazine's publication.

Also, related

http://entertainment.time.com/2011/08/30/all-time-100-best-nonfiction-books/
>>
Expected a lot more POC/womyn liberal nonsense. The list isn't terrible.
>>
>>9636576
Even Time magazine went sjw
Will not click
>>
>>9636576
> only english language novels
> published post 1923

I mean, I guess the choices they've made are nice and all but it's a shame they've limited themselves. I wanted to see Don Quixote on there or some Tolstoy.
>>
>>9636723
Plus, not allowing pre-1923 means you miss out on Joyce and Melville.

I'm very disappointed.
>>
>>9636690
I was surprised they actually have a good collection and even a few I wasn't particularly aware of. This went better than expected.
>>
>>9636723
It's actually a nice list in that style, if it was the greatest of all time it'd be the same books we all know.
>>
Only one on there that I've read and thought was shit (The Big Sleep) so it's not bad.
>>
>>9636805
Neuromancer is pretty awful as well
>>
They have an impressive talent for picking an author's second best novel

The Third Policeman > At Swim-two-birds
My Ántonia > Death Fomes for the Archbishop
Giovanni's Room > Go Tell it on the Mountain
Gilead > Housekeeping
Sometimes a Great Notion > One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Remains of the Day > Never Let Me Go
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.